The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using a Russian turret finder on the GX100?

E

earlofmar11

In Sean Reid's GX100 review, he mentions how he uses a series of external viewfinders (mostly CV) to match the different step zoom settings of the GX100. The idea appeals to me, and I already have the 25mm CV finder, so I'm going to try that out soon.

Now I was wondering, in order to cover some (not all) of the other focal lengths, would the ubiquitous Russian turret finder, which can be had for not too much money, do a decent job? Has anyone ever tried this? I'd be interested to know your experience (coverage, parallax, ...)

Thanks.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi Marc,

Another Belgian, hello :)

I've been briefly considering the same but I've backed down from it. I think the turret finder would rather dominate the camera. I've also been thinking about getting a Voigtlander 28/35 and possibly a 75mm viewfinder from Voigtlander, but it seems too much hassle (and a bit expensive). And my camera shop doesn't carry them, either.

My current plan is to go for a 50mm finder for people shots where it matters, and to use the LCD for all other work.

Peter.

D

David Paul Carr

1) Perhaps it's a silly question but why on earth would you want to put an ancient Russian optical viewfinder (in 3:2 format) on a GX100 when there is a far better ( and not that expensive) EVF available?

2) The Russian thing isn't bad as far as framing goes but it's not in 4:3 format, requires parallax adjustment for near subjects, will be useless for macro, is rather bulky...

I expect by now that you have guessed what my choice would be...

E

earlofmar11

I can se what you mean and I understand your viewpoint. For me, I tried out the EVF in the shop when I bought my GX100, but decided against it as it didn't appeal to me at all. Initially, I quite liked the idea, but when I saw it, I was underwhelmed. For macro I can use the screen, the OVFs would more be for street shooting, so parallax is not really a problem there...