The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love from the S90?

barjohn

DXO has just posted it DXO Mark ratings on the G11 and the S90. Very impressive for such small cameras. They beat out the LX3 which is no slouch.

s.agar

I gave this camera as a gift to my wife. Until now, she never got her camera with her at night, because her earlier Canon 950 was usable only up to 400 ISO.

Tonight she tried the S90 at 800 ISO, and the results were more than acceptable. In fact, combined with the 28mm/F2 wide end, this is a perfect small camera for street shots. I liked it too.

Canon's move towards better high ISO performance vs. high pixel race was a very clever decision IMO. Of course they still race with some other models that they have. But S90 is very valuable for more advanced photographers.

Here is a sample at 800 ISO and one with 320 ISO.

Paratom

1600 ISO with the g11.
For some reason the image looks different in IE compared to looking at it in PS.
I prefered to convert from raw and less/no noise reduction. There is some noise in the image but therefore more detail IMO.
I post this because I am impressed by this camera. For me its the first small sensor cam I have tried which allows such higher ISO images. (I have however not tried the LX3 and GRDIII which I guess alow the same thing). Being able to work with raw and to choose between noise reduction smearing and noise is a key feature for me. Overall I would say many compacts have to much noise reduction going on. Is this really what the user/customer wants? I wish I could also set the level of noise reduction for incamera jpgs withthe g11. Or is it possible and I just dont know how to do it?

here is one with 400ISO:

Last edited:

bradhusick

I downloaded a bunch of RAW files from a review of the S90 and in anything but ideal conditions the shadows turned into blotchy messes just like most small sensor cameras. They had a plasticky feel as well, common to this type of camera. They're getting better, but not up to the level of m4/3 yet.

A

ajuett

I downloaded a bunch of RAW files from a review of the S90 and in anything but ideal conditions the shadows turned into blotchy messes just like most small sensor cameras. They had a plasticky feel as well, common to this type of camera. They're getting better, but not up to the level of m4/3 yet.
The m4/3 is a lot bigger than the S90 and also twice the cost. I couldn't afford a m4/3 but I did look briefly at the GF1 in the store. It was nice but I couldn't see it being twice the camera of either the G11 or S90. The m4/3 is deep into dSLR territory money-wise and therefore if I had the cash, the dSLR route is the way I'd go, eg; Pentax K-x body with a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.

Lars

Probably the same with G11 then. I'll take a closer look when I get mine in a week.

bradhusick

Lars, I owned the G10 for exactly 30 minutes! I took a few shots, processed the raw files, saw the godawful mess at ISO 400 and higher and packed it up to return to Amazon. I hope the G11 is better.

Lars

Lars, I owned the G10 for exactly 30 minutes! I took a few shots, processed the raw files, saw the godawful mess at ISO 400 and higher and packed it up to return to Amazon. I hope the G11 is better.
Yep I skipped the G10 after selling my G9, didn't make sense with so many little pixels. G11 seems better at ISO 400. Should be very similar to S90 - same sensor, same processing, different lens and body.

A

ajuett

Yep I skipped the G10 after selling my G9, didn't make sense with so many little pixels. G11 seems better at ISO 400. Should be very similar to S90 - same sensor, same processing, different lens and body.
Depending on how you intend on showing your photos even 1600 ISO on the G11 yields good results. Even some 3200 shots I've taken are, all things considered, impressive. I have a few shots on my site if you are interested in looking.

Arne Hvaring

It's the first pocketable small-sensor camera I have come across with a moderately useable high ISO capability. The fast (at 28mm) zoom makes for some interesting available light opportunities. Unfortunately the lens is soft at the edges at 28mm, even stopped down, but quite sharp in the center.
Here are some samples at various ISO settings.

Last edited:

Lars

I got a chance to play with an S90 at the store yesterday. Nice little thing but it really needs an aftermarket grip. It's a little surprising that Canon prioritized form over function in that aspect, as the S90 clearly is a photographer's camera.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I got around to processing images from a shoot in a nursery in the Cayman Islands: very high DR lighting, so a challenge for a small sensor. All shot in Raw and processed in CS4.
A favour for a friend, for a new web site. I didn't have a real camera with me.

I fitted mine with the Franiec grip; essential, IMHO.

http://www.pandf.com.au/bodypress/PowerFlower_2009/

cheers to all, kl

Rawfa

I’ve taken some photos with it last week while in Portugal…but since I was also using the E-P1 with my new 17mm I didn’t use the S90 that much. I did do some iso 1600 tests that turned out better than anything I’ve shot with the LX3 at this iso (and I was shooting jpegs with the S90!). I’m still processing the E-P1 files, but when I’m done I’ll get cracking on the S90’s.
I really like the fact that this is a TRUE pocket camera (I had it on my jeans all day long). The front wheel is great (I set it to aperture), but I also like an iso dedicate wheel.

Arne Hvaring

I got a chance to play with an S90 at the store yesterday. Nice little thing but it really needs an aftermarket grip. It's a little surprising that Canon prioritized form over function in that aspect, as the S90 clearly is a photographer's camera.
Well, yes and no. As you have to hold this camera at arms length, I don't find a grip useful, as I tend to hold it in a quite different fashion from a camera with a viewfinder, where a grip no doubt would be welcome. Besides, a grip would add weight and bulk and the very compactness of the S-90 is one of its most compelling features. A rather subjective matter of course, so YMMV.

Lars

What do you guys use to process out color noise at ISO 800 or 1600? I see now that my somewhat ancient CS2/ACR solution does not work well with G11 files. In-camera processed jpegs look good though.

Lars

Well, yes and no. As you have to hold this camera at arms length, I don't find a grip useful, as I tend to hold it in a quite different fashion from a camera with a viewfinder, where a grip no doubt would be welcome. Besides, a grip would add weight and bulk and the very compactness of the S-90 is one of its most compelling features. A rather subjective matter of course, so YMMV.
Obviously, since there are aftermarket grips and people buy them.