The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 replace with GRDIII ???

bbodine9

Having owned the DP1 for 8 months and getting a couple of really nice landscape shots I am starting to question my overall satisfaction. The GRDIII looks like it will still give me very good landscape IQ overall plus a much faster lens that is still razor sharp and the ability to shoot macro and in low light.
One of my desires is the ability to shoot indoors with tungsten lighting for family and friends without flash, can the GRDIII handle this I wonder?
Any thoughts on this matter will be appreciated.

markwon

bbodine9, Having owned the DP1 and DP2 at one point, I can tell you that the higher ISO shots are much more usable with the GRDIII. While the b&w conversions on the DPx cameras have more flexibility, the colors just get problematic starting ISO400, especially with tricky lighting.

Here are some snapshots at higher ISO's, in mixed lighting situations, all taken DNG then uploaded as full sized Jpegs in LR2.5:

ISO 617, f1.9 1/30

ISO 911, f1.9, 1/30

ISO 1600, f1.9 1/17

When the files are converted to b&w, the ISO1600 images are very usable at smaller print sizes, and lack the harsh digital noise of many p&s. The noise is a bit more organic looking, I guess more "filmic" as they say.

markwon

Wayne and Don, there is no doubt the images from the DPx are special. But the OPs question was in reference to indoor lowlight, high ISO shots, which we all know, is a strong limitation of the Sigma's, no arguing that. Unless one is willing to work b&w only at higher ISO ranges.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Mark,
I wouldn't mind taking a closer look at your new cam....
Maybe we could do a coffee meet or Sushi one day...
Let me know....
Don

Paratom

CAnt talk about the GRDIII but I also feel the dp1 and dp2 are great for low MP low ISO images but anything about ISO400 gets problematic regarding color. And even at lower ISO I personally felt skin colors tricky.
I recently got myself a G11 and after seeing first results I plan to sell my dpx cameras.
And as interesting it is to live with a fast prime I do use the zoom function all the time.
I admit though that the user interface of the small Ricohs is even better than that of the Canon G-series. I am however pretty happy so far.
Cheers,Tom