The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Sensor Pocket Camera?

Mitchell

A friend of mine is taking some very nice shots with an iPhone, but wants something better.

1. He wants the option of selective focus, i.e., small depth of field so he needs a larger format sensor, 35 mm being ideal. I don't think he needs more than 10 mp, better to have large pixels.

2. He wants no or little shutter lag.

Is there a camera that fulfills these requirements?

At a reasonable price even?

Thanks for any help,

Mitchell

Rawfa

If he really needs a large sensor on a compact body it will be hard to get it with no or little shutter lag. The DP1 has the larger sensor around for a compact camera but the shutter lag is from the stone age. Maybe he should look into the new crop of micro 4/3 (GF1 and EP-2).

Godfrey

1. He wants the option of selective focus, i.e., small depth of field so he needs a larger format sensor, 35 mm being ideal. I don't think he needs more than 10 mp, better to have large pixels.

2. He wants no or little shutter lag.

Is there a camera that fulfills these requirements?
At a reasonable price even?
What's a reasonable price?

My solution to these requirements would be the Panasonic GF1 fitted with a Lumix G 20mm f/1.7. It is of course difficult to obtain a shallow DoF at anything other than relatively close working distances with a wide-normal lens, so I add an adapted 40mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens for a tighter field of view and shallower DoF capabilities.

ShiroKuro

Ricoh GXR and the A12 sensor : )

As for the iphone ... try taking a rubber band or a hair tie and putting it around the phone ..insert your fingers and twist the phone .... really works well ... keeps the phone steady in your hand without having to hold it ... hope that makes sense ..... I saw someone in Japan doing this ... I tried it and was amazed as to how well it works .... simple thing like that never occurred to me ...

s.agar

Comparing with an iPhone, G1 with a 14-45mm lens would make a nice alternative, with a very nice kit price. If he wants a smaller camera, GF1 may be considered.

Blue G1 sells for only 640 USD at amazon.com, while GF1 is 900 USD.

A

ajuett

Depending on how much your friend has to spend I would suggest the Canon G11 as well. The G11 may not have the DOF a larger sensor camera has but, the IQ is there. High ISO performance is also extremely good. A very useful 28-140 lens, etc. $549 CDN, whatever that is in USD, gets you a pocketable, advanced compact camera.