The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sean's pointer to the Y-Strap...

Brian Mosley

I've just read Sean Reid's latest article promoting the Y-Strap - it looks like a really nice idea, and I only recently found myself using a variant with the Olympus E-420 which worked quite well...

I had a long black neck cord, and rather than allowing the E-420 to hang centrally, I tucked it behind the webbing of my left fleece pocket to the centre-left of my body. If I walked with the fleece open, it made the camera extremely easy to just grab and shoot with as normal - but was more discreet and secure than having it hang centrally - or indeed carry it on a wrist strap.

Anyhow, these varients of carrying a small camera around your body seem worthy of experimentation! Anyone else have ideas on this theme?

Kind Regards

Brian

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Brian,

Actually, the article is meant more to describe than to promote. That's why I list pros and cons.

Cheers,

Sean

Brian Mosley

Whoops! sorry Sean... I meant promote as in tell us about something worth looking at, not influence us to buy no matter what... lol

Gosh it's a bit of a minefield. I've been promoting you as a reviewer I like to pay for your views by the way - I don't expect anyone to sign up, just because I like you! lol

Kind Regards

Brian

Maggie O

I picked one up a few weeks ago- I think it works better if you use it on your left hip and right shoulder, which is opposite to how I have my cameras hang. I went back to using the strap that came with my M8, only flipped around so the nubs on the rubber pad face away from my body and allow the strap to rotate across my body.

That said, I will probably give the Y Strap another chance.

S

Sean_Reid

Whoops! sorry Sean... I meant promote as in tell us about something worth looking at, not influence us to buy no matter what... lol

Gosh it's a bit of a minefield. I've been promoting you as a reviewer I like to pay for your views by the way - I don't expect anyone to sign up, just because I like you! lol

Kind Regards

Brian
Well, thank you kindly. I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Sean

Terry

Sean,
the videos show him using a rangedinder what do you think the practical limits are for camera size on the strap?

Funny when I looked at the site that he is in Pawlet. I don't know many of the small towns in VT but my sister and her husband are in the process moving to Pawlet.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Terry,

That's a heck of a coincidence. I would think that the weight limit would mostly come down to how strong the lug (and lug mount) are on the camera.

Cheers,

Sean

Will

I like the addition of the ring that lets the camera slide up the strap, It makes an old way of using a camera strap easier. Apart from that ring it is no different to the way I (and I presume a lot of others) have used the strap on cameras for years. I've made an over head and shoulder strap for my GRD2 with two camera phone wrist straps and a spare football boot lace. If you adjust the strap to the right length you can push the camera away from your body till it can go no further which steadies it quite a lot for slow shutter speeds. I wonder if the slider ring would make that more difficult?

Irenaeus

Another coincidence:

My internet connection's been down for the last few days so I've been out of touch. It got fixed today and I hot-footed it to this forum, only to find this thread about the Y-strap — the same strap that I'd just bought two weeks ago! Yes, it is a new take on ways we've used before (my own unrealized variation being to get a quick draw shoulder holster made to fit one's camera instead of a pistol) but it's nicely done. I particularly like the way the Y-strap keeps the camera available while in the car as well as when out walking.

That said, my RD1 and Hexar are so in such nice condition that I wince at the thought of what might happen to one hanging down by my side, and I haven't hooked either of them up to it yet. The obvious solution, of course, would be to court a "user condition" GAS attack, but....

The other thing is that the whole matter of whether I could use it for the Hexar AF at all or not is still in question. It's at a friend's house at the moment so I can't be sure, but my recollection is that the slots in the lugs would be too narrow for even the smaller Y-strap ring. I imagine some good way will surface once I actually decide to put the two together, though. Glad to hear Sean's written about it and will look there soon for his insights.

Congratulations on your own rig, Will, and on the way you lift it up your photo work by your own bootstraps!

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Brian Mosley

My Y strap arrived today (thanks Sean, for the review) - I've been out with the E-420 + 25mm pancake hanging on my left side, strap over my right shoulder this afternoon. It certainly works as advertised. Very easy to tuck out of sight under my jacket, and easy to wear while driving too. I went for the black version - which is very discreet.

I'm going to be wearing my camera much more from now on, so I guess it's a big bonus!

Kind Regards

Brian

S

stu

Brian, where did you get your E-420 + 25mm pancake lens? Is it available?

Thanks

stu

Brian Mosley

Hi Stu, it's available with the double zoom kit at digital depot now, and I'm sure the 25mm pancake lens won't be far behind - this is the review unit, which we had on extended loan for one of our Safari Group members to use last week. It will have to go back very soon, but hopefully there will be kits available to buy by then!

Kind Regards

Brian