The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I now have a DP1 to share with you...

Brian Mosley

Hello everyone,

a couple of days ago, we had one of our Olympus UK Photo Safari Events, which I devised to bring together serious photographers (I dislike the term amateur - I'm not from a photographic background ;) and find it a confusing term)... anyhow I managed to buy a Sigma DP1 and Denis Ong, a friend in our group kindly collected it and brought it with him.

Just to let you know that if you have any questions or requests - I'm your personal contact! lol

Here's a shot from yesterday of our labrador Casper, helping me to check out the dynamic range of the DP1.

There's an 'artificial' or perhaps 'heightened' colour character to the foveon sensor which I think will be interesting to play with... I like character!

As for the user interface - well, luckily I'm human, and we're quite good at adapting ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Maggie O

Wow, great sky!

I can see what you mean by " 'heightened' colour character"- it almost looks like an art-directed and studio-lit David La Chappell shot. Which is pretty cool, IMO.

Brian Mosley

Thank you Maggie :)

It's been adjusted a tiny bit for levels and colour in LightZone, but there's some lovely detail to work with!

Kind Regards

Brian

Maggie O

Thank you Maggie :)

It's been adjusted a tiny bit for levels and colour in LightZone, but there's some lovely detail to work with!

Kind Regards

Brian
Did you have to use the Sigma software to convert the RAW to JPEG or TIFF and then you worked in Lightzone or did you use a camera-generated JPEG or does Lightzone work with the RAW files?

Whatever method, it sure worked well!

thomasl.se

^
Technicolor. A rather pronounced three strip effect, isn't it? But of course, the sensor is three layered. What about skin tones; more tanned than expected?

Brian Mosley

Did you have to use the Sigma software to convert the RAW to JPEG or TIFF and then you worked in Lightzone or did you use a camera-generated JPEG or does Lightzone work with the RAW files?

Whatever method, it sure worked well!
I used the windows version of Sigma's RAW converter (v2.4) and exported to tiff... then in LightZone bumped up the colour even more with a relight layer (soft light) and relight normal + desaturate and save-as 800 x 600 resolution jpeg, 97% quality.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards

Brian

H

hermie

... then in LightZone bumped up the colour even more with a relight layer (soft light) and relight normal + desaturate ...
Wouldn't that, in part, explain the 'artificial' / 'heightened' color character?

I've ordered one last week. Still waiting ...

Herman

H

hermie

LightZone's Relight is a fantastic tool. My little niece + ice cream + Relight (Soft+Normal mode):

Terry

Hello everyone,

a couple of days ago, we had one of our Olympus UK Photo Safari Events, which I devised to bring together serious photographers (I dislike the term amateur - I'm not from a photographic background ;) and find it a confusing term)... anyhow I managed to buy a Sigma DP1 and Denis Ong, a friend in our group kindly collected it and brought it with him.

Just to let you know that if you have any questions or requests - I'm your personal contact! lol

Here's a shot from yesterday of our labrador Casper, helping me to check out the dynamic range of the DP1.

There's an 'artificial' or perhaps 'heightened' colour character to the foveon sensor which I think will be interesting to play with... I like character!

As for the user interface - well, luckily I'm human, and we're quite good at adapting ;)

Kind Regards

Brian
Brian I am going to be in the minority on this shot. In addition to just not loving the look, the dog's coat and the bush on the right seem overly sharpened which could happen in the posting. I'm going to be curious how the DP-1 does. I haven't heard too many people thrilled about the handling (write times, LCD, AF, Menus) and honestly I haven't seen a lot of shots that even remotely make me yearn for one. At DPReview I've seen a lot of muddy colors which is very opposite of this.

terry

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hi Terry, thank you for your honesty, I'm just getting to know the camera but it should be easier to lose that detail and sharpness in PP if I wish... than to gain sharp detail if it wasn't there to start with.

You're right the UI needs finishing, but I'm enjoying the new learning curve until the E-420 arrives. After that I'll continue to use this for the quirky character... I'm expecting great results in B&W too.

Bear with me, I'll be pushing it in all directions ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

I'm curious to see how the 420 does vs the 410. A 520 would have been a real contender for me as I want it for long stuff and need IS. The 420 with the pancake(s) seems more versatile and appealing than the DP1 but I am sure a lot of people are going to have a lot of fun with the camera.

S

Sean_Reid

Thanks for posting. I'm eager to test this camera.

Cheers,

Sean

Brian Mosley

Lots of people try to steal the Leica reputation by association... It's a shame Leica don't get commission for every mention of the M8 in descriptions of new cams - they'd never have to make another camera!

Having said all that, I love my old (6 month old!) E-400 and can't wait to try the E-420 + pancake on a Y-strap! it's a high quality cam indeed, and very responsive - fast AF and 9 RAW shot buffer at 3.5 fps followed by 1.1 fps to card full.

Kind Regards

Brian