The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re-classify fully manual cameras

A

ajuett

I think they should re-classify cameras like the G11, S90, LX3, etc. and pretty much anything that has full manual control and RAW. There are enough models out there to define this class of cameras. P&S sounds cheap and cameras like the G11, S90, LX3, (etc.) aren't toys. If you kept only one lens on your dSLR it would be a large P&S?

pollobarca

No cameras are toys,but people can play with a Leica too!
Ricoh have their GRD and GX cameras under "professional" on the Ricoh website.
That too is not so clever.
How about EC , Enhanced Consumer, ?

There is a great site called Bullsh*t job.com . Perhaps that could come up with something
PR and marketing friendly!:D

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I think they should re-classify cameras like the G11, S90, LX3, etc. and pretty much anything that has full manual control and RAW. There are enough models out there to define this class of cameras. P&S sounds cheap and cameras like the G11, S90, LX3, (etc.) aren't toys. If you kept only one lens on your dSLR it would be a large P&S?
Nope, not if it's my Zeiss C/Y 21/2.8 on my 5DMkII or my Leica-R 50 'Cron.

A

ajuett

No cameras are toys,but people can play with a Leica too!
Ricoh have their GRD and GX cameras under "professional" on the Ricoh website.
That too is not so clever.
How about EC , Enhanced Consumer, ?

There is a great site called Bullsh*t job.com . Perhaps that could come up with something
PR and marketing friendly!:D
pollobarca, ECC, Enhanced Consumer Camera, or EPS, Enhanced Photography System.

OT: I have a cousin in Lake Como, are you anywhere near there?

Tim

I think it was Olympus that started the Prosumer line?

How about 'Advanced compact' or maybe 'Compact with Control' ?

pollobarca

Ajuett,
yes- I like ECC. Apart from in italian it has the same meaning as Etc. (Eccetera).
Compact with control sounds like a small size condom ( italy some durex are called control):D
We need to have a name which will not mean something silly in eskimese or engrish.
CEC consumer enhanced camera ,or camera enhanced for consumers.
Hopefully its not a sigla for a terrorist grouping in Azbekistan or something.
A quick google seems to give only innocent meanings to CEC.

BTW I live about 25 kms from Como.

All the best

paul