The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Three images from the DP1

Brian Mosley

Despite the dust and occasional lockups (version1.0 firmware!)... I'm enjoying the learning curve with this camera.

BT's tower in Swansea

On the way home, through beautiful South Wales...

Kind Regards

Brian

D

David Paul Carr

Brian, what do you mean by "despite the dust"?
The colours look great and the pictures are nicely sharp and detailed but what I would really like to see (anywhere, not just from you) are pictures of people doing things, made with the DP1. Looking around the web, I see mainly gorgeous landscape shots: should this be attributed to the contemplative nature of DP1 buyers or the slugishness of the camera?

D

David Paul Carr

Sorry Brian! I've just found the other post...

4season

Brian, sorry to hear about the dust: I saw a tip somewhere where someone simply took a vacuum cleaner to their p&s camera, and claimed it worked. I tried it with my GX100, and it didn't seem to hurt.

Please don't take this as a slight against your photos, but a number of the DP-1 photos I've seen online look crisp and detailed, but also kind of raggedy, with noticeably stair-stepped rooftops and the like. Wondering if you have any insight into that--an effect of post processing, Sigma's software, or a characteristic of the Foveon sensor etc?

Brian Mosley

Thankyou both for your comments... I'm hoping the single dust spot was contamination from the factory, and will see about getting a replacement unit asap.

The problem with jaggies is down to lack of anti aliasing in the original + scaling by non-foveon optimized PP (Lightzone) - thank you for picking that up, I'll use Qimage Studio for smooth scaling of DP1 images from now on.

I do have one or two people pics which I'll post next.

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

I do have one or two people pics which I'll post next.
cool! i'm lapping up all your images and am definitely interested in the people pics most of all ! am going to my camera store today and if they still have one (he had one set aside for me, but i was going into surgery and had to tell him to sell it if he had a taker)....

btw, are you noticing the dust on all your shots or only on selective ones?

again, many thanks for sharing!

D

David Paul Carr

In my tests with other's raw files, outputting at double size from the Sigma software produced nice big files with no jaggies. As that option exists and works well, maybe it's not worth interpolating elsewhere...

Brian Mosley

The single dust spot isn't obvious in every shot, and would be easy to clone out if I needed to... I'm torn between sending it back, and keeping it a while longer.

Yes, I think I'd output at double size to tif, and then manipulate if necessary in LightZone, before downsizing and changing to jpeg with Qimage Studio.

Kind Regards

Brian

antara

blue color cast in DP!?

Hi Brian,
I've been following your explorations here and on DPR. I just bought the GX100, and so far, I love it. It's very stealth so I have taken to b&w street shooting. Much fun and new learning.
Question--I have a friend who just bought the DP1 and is finding a blue color cast to his shots. Have you seen this or have any idea why? He also has the Leica version of the lx2 and in comparison the Sigma is blue.
Any thoughts on this?
Much enjoying your journeys and sharings. Would love to join the safari, but its a bit far from Santa Monica.
Best
Antara