The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filters.

D

D upton-Hackett.

Do you have a favourite filter that you use most or keep permanently on camera, or do you rely on PP for the desired effect.

Derek.

Don Ellis

I only use compact cameras -- Canon G1, G2, Pro 1, G9 and now the Sigma DP2 -- and I have always had a filter adapter on them with a UV filter for protection only.

Beyond that, I occasionally use a polarizer and often use macro lenses/filters.

That's it... although if I were going to go wild I might consider a gradient filter for landscape scenes. So far I've resisted, mainly from laziness.

Oh, and I once used a neutral density filter to produce a slower shutter speed on a sunlit waterfall. Once.

pollobarca

Derek,
i used to keep a tube and UV filter on my Oly C5050z. The idea is for protection. I now only keep the tube on as I dont see any benefit with my way of using the camera.
I do have a Hoya Polarizer that works great with my Oly C5050z but doesnt seem to do much with the Ricoh Gx100. I really dont understand why the Ricoh doesnt benefit much from the Polarizer. Perhaps because now use RAW
whereas when I was using the Polarizer on my Oly I only used JPEG output.
I want to get a Hoya Moose Polarizer, but that is waiting for next trip to the USA. I havent found any in europe. I did drop big hints to my daughter for Xmas but I ended up with an "I Love Canada" T shirt.

But I would like to invest in some Cokin ND filters on the special mount for PnS
cameras. My Brother found a complete set of Cokin filters , and the mount , in a Jumble sale. I think he paid about a tenner for a box of filters including a polarizer. I would like to use ND for those effects with running water and the like.

All the best

paul

PS if you want a polarizer either get lucky on E bay or spend some! at least 50 euro. My old boss spent over 200 euro.

D

D upton-Hackett.

Awaiting delivery of Lensmate Sigma DP2/DP1 Adapter 52mm, Hoya HMC UV 52mm and Op/Tech CAM STRAP-QD Wrist Strap Black.

just had an email from Lensmate saying it's on the way, terrific service only ordered yesterday evening. Wish all British firms would do that.