The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Exceptional DP1 photos shared here!

Maggie O

Re: nearly departed

LOL! i guess i'm feeling really needy right now :angel: thank you for indulging me! i'm not feeling sharp so the razor pictures just don't draw me right now (along with the fact that they are dreadfully boring).

one of the joys i've had with all my cameras is the quality of its **ck-ups. this one demonstrates what happens in the metro station to an extreme (totally driver error here). and, again, totally blasphemous from a DP1 quality point of view -- but i like it.

I love this. LOVE. IT.

It is simultaneously Duchampian, evocative of Anton Giulio Bragaglia and utterly yours.

BRAVA!!!

I loved the first two you posted, too.

cam

ooh, fantastic, David!! the motion is superb! i love the fleeting treats we get from our cameras, almost as though they're the ones expressing themselves :grin:

cam

oliver expresses himself

I love this. LOVE. IT.

It is simultaneously Duchampian, evocative of Anton Giulio Bragaglia and utterly yours.

BRAVA!!!

I loved the first two you posted, too.
:eek: i don't believe i've asked you to marry me this month yet, have i???

and, as always, much gratitude -- you continually add to my education, introducing me to photographers i don't know but love at first sight!

ah, WTF, i've already totally hijacked this thread... here's one from the GRDII. i never put it up on flickr because i'm still not happy with the PP, not sure whether to keep the colour in, yada yada. this is the blurb i wrote at the time (public consumption and all that -- what i didn't mention is a wee bit of family history that the pic so obviously shows):

I yelled at my nephew when he ran into my lens whilst I was trying to take an artsy shot of my step-father's feet. (A camera on the floor with a nine-year-old running around is not the brightest move.) I then apologised to Oliver when he was digging into his ice cream delight and coke. And tried to explain.

I told him how important my camera was, how it helped me express myself. He asked me if I carried it with me always. I said I did. I then asked him how he expressed himself. He answered that it was with a basketball, but that he couldn't carry it with him all the time. But he said if he was me, he wouldn't want the camera break to either. And then he expressed himself in front of me, around the kitchen table.

DavidE

Here's another mysterious screw-up photo. No post processing except to brighten it a little.

kai.e.g.

Here's another mysterious screw-up photo. No post processing except to brighten it a little.
Yikes! Whatever it was that flew in through your window from outer space must still be hiding in your house somewhere, David. Does this sort of thing happen very often around your part of the world??

Will

Well I've gone and done it. Ordered a DP1 from Park Cameras today, should arrive on monday :)

Last edited:

DavidE

Yikes! Whatever it was that flew in through your window from outer space must still be hiding in your house somewhere, David. Does this sort of thing happen very often around your part of the world??
I hope it's not still there. I prefer to think it was heading out, rather then in. (ET return home.)

The light in the window is from a table lamp, and the smear could have come from camera movement. Only I can't figure out why the rest of the photo didn't also smear (maybe the difference in light intensity?). Similarly, the blue house could have come from the white balance being off (the house is white). Yet why didn't everything come out that blue? Life's little mysteries.

cam

Great to see you rock again Cam!
thank you! though i think i'm only capable of very slow waltzes at the moment :eek:

glad to hear you got your camera back so fast! they must've known what an excellent spokesperson you are for it :p

Brian Mosley

Thank you cam, and David for sharing your 'expressive images' I really like what you're doing with these... and the great thing about this forum is that noone seems to take their plastic so seriously to become offended by someone else's personal experience based opinion.

In the end, it's more important to me to be inspired by a camera, than any particular strength or weakness.

The trouble is, I'm finding it difficult to define what the criteria are for an 'inspirational' camera...

it's my overall impression of the camera, starting with the specs, through observed on-line image quality - a huge part is the 'vibe' I pick up from reasonable but passionate fellow photographers, and how they are inspired to use the camera. These shots are perfect examples of that!

Also, the reputation of the brand supplier comes into play - and I've taken a bit of a gamble that Sigma have produced a high quality camera... only time will tell (now that my first defective unit has been replaced) - I hope that the price is based on more than market positioning, but on the highest quality components.

Finally, it comes down to getting out and using the camera every day, to see how well I can adapt to it, and make it sing... more on that in due course!

Kind Regards

Brian

bbodine9

Sure wish Jono would try the Sigma! Macro too!

I am hoping that Jono will soon take a stab at the Sigma. He and Jim Radcliffe seem to get the most out of their cameras from what I have seen. What do you say Jono, is it time to try it yet? If you have not seen Jim's latest he is now doing macro with it also.

Brian Mosley

Here's a shot I took this afternoon - the DP1 is certainly discreet!

I was stood at the handrail of a balcony, and the girl was stood right next to me - the 28mm fov makes it quite practical to frame blind.

Kind Regards

Brian

Will

OK, here are a few of my first efforts with the DP1. I didn't enjoy the experience of taking the pictures but when I got home and saw he files I started to change my feelings towards the camera!

Same subject with my newly repaired GRD2 for comparison