The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Exceptional DP1 photos shared here!

Brian Mosley

Hi Will, I know what you mean about the shooting experience - but your first shot is veeery nice :)

Your 2nd pair illustrates perfectly something I'm struggling with at the moment - I prefer my skies to be blue rather than green!

One of mine from today :

Kind Regards

Brian

Joan

Brian and Will,

Great stuff! Applaud you both for being early adopters of this camera and sharing your efforts (and frustrations). I hope you'll get RAW support for it soon.

Regards,
Joan

cam

Yes, that's lovely & smooth... it will
be good to have 3rd party RAW support.

Kind Regards

Brian
call me crazy, but i'm actually not minding the software. or maybe it's just that i'm so floored about how much can be recovered either way -- which would actually be the file itself rather than the software. i'm also fascinated with the monochrome setting for b/w. while i miss being able to tweak the channels separately, it is taking full advantage of the sensor... i still tweak in CS3 after, though (you don't do this, do you?).

perhaps it's because you're going for the realistic colour whilst i'm playing with expressionistic black and white. i was just playing with another ghost shot and found that the fill light can really mess with the noise/grain if you go too far. it actually came out quite gorgeous. very, very film-like.

i think, like the camera itself, you need to learn it. unfortunately for me, the software seems to be easier to get my head around than the camera itself.

cam

this is a *major* crop, but an example of SPP at work.

i only cropped and adjusted levels in CS3. it was very easy to get a more natural feel, but i chose to tweak it somewhat severely because i wanted the pavement near white (even though the expanse isn't shown here).

Will

I like your treatment cam. I haven't really played with black and white much yet. I see what you mean about pushing the fill light, I may have some fun with that later if I get time.

In the meantime here is one i did using channel mixer on a jpg. Not completely happy with it yet though.

W

wbrandsma

this is a *major* crop, but an example of SPP at work.

i only cropped and adjusted levels in CS3. it was very easy to get a more natural feel, but i chose to tweak it somewhat severely because i wanted the pavement near white (even though the expanse isn't shown here).
Awesome Cam. This is great :thumbs:

cam

Awesome Cam. This is great :thumbs:
you sweet talker, you! i actual prefer the full shot but it was too hard to see any detail that way. like i said, Sigma purists will probably hate my guts :grin:

Will,

every image that comes out of the DP1 needs an upping of the contrast, IMO, especially when you go b/w. a nice little dab of auto level in PS helps as well.

your image is great, but maybe the above will help. did you shoot RAW or JPEG? you might also want to try using the USM... although you need to be careful of over-sharpening these Sigma files, my favourite way to dehaze is using the Unsharp Mask at 10-25.0-0 (sometimes more than one pass is necessary). if you do that, though, you may want to actually pull down the sharpening in SPP by -0.5 or -0.8.

as for the fun with the fill light (which really *is* marvelous!), this was the image i was talking about. i bumped down the exposure and juiced the fill light to exaggerate the blur and grain. i'm not sure if you can tell at this size, but the texture is dreamy. (everything but resizing done in SPP -- the blur was all me :p)

Last edited:

Will

Love your latest image cam. Beautiful tone and grain to it.

With my one I made a jpg from the raw file having made a few adjustments to desaturate a little and recover blown highlights. I then cropped, mono channel mixed, levels adjusted and unsharp masked quite a lot in CS3.

cam

curves can be your friend

I like your treatment cam. I haven't really played with black and white much yet. I see what you mean about pushing the fill light, I may have some fun with that later if I get time.

In the meantime here is one i did using channel mixer on a jpg. Not completely happy with it yet though.
as the title says... i probably went a wee bit overboard (i'm not known for my restraint), but it's just to show you what a difference curves can make...

eta: dodging and burning can do wonderful things as well, but it's on my no-no list until my arm gets a bit better. this image could probably be further enhanced by it.

Last edited:

Lili

Cam, Will, Brian, lovely work!
Very Inspiring and reassuring to see that in talented hand this little camera can really produce stunning images!

helenhill

Cam, Will, Brian, lovely work!
Very Inspiring and reassuring to see that in talented hand this little camera can really produce stunning images!
Well said LiLi
the DP! seems to work with an interesting edge
can't wait to get one in my hands (B&H has my money but I ain't got no honey /on backorder......)

Last edited:

cam

gorgeous, Will! love the colours!

btw, i hope you don't mind that i messed with your photo a few posts up.

Brian Mosley

Wow! I think the DP1 should be known as the 'texture cam' - that's a lovely shot Will... and I think I prefer the first, lower contrast image outside the pub - great stuff!

Here's one of my favourite DP1 shots from yesterday...

...and a B&W shot from the same hike

This is a fabulous camera to have in your pocket!

I also had the E-420 with me + the 12-60mm SWD zoom lens... which was very useful to isolate subjects in the distance.

Boot's Folly, illuminated by a shaft of sunlight on the distant hillside. (120mm EFL shot)

Snowsprite (24mm EFL)

Kind Regards

Brian

W

wbrandsma

You get better and better with the DP1 Brian. And the B&W photo is just outstanding.