The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dutch winter

H

HansM

Inside (the train, 'inexorably moving forward') and out, yesterday. On a technical note: DP2, ISO 800, f 6.3 1/80. SPP & a little LR.

Hans

W

wbrandsma

Welkom Hans. Reminds me of my student years in college :D In what region where you? Overijssel, Drenthe? It looks like the north to me.

H

HansM

Thank you, Osman. As I am first and foremost a printing photographer, I am very pleased with your comment - let's see what it does in print! By the way, precisely this quality of the Foveon sensor (in colour as well) has me considering selling my otherwise excellent K10 plus three beautiful prime lenses as soon as the Sigma SD15 comes around (provided it turns out well).
Hoi Wouter, I've enjoyed your photos for some time now, especially the ones you made with your autistic son in mind (the horse!). So you studied in Groningen? I just checked the time I took this photo - 36 minutes after leaving Groningen (for Utrecht, where I live). So it must have been somewhere in the south of Drenthe, I would say between Hoogeveen and Meppel. (I realise this is a conversation between two Dutchmen, but we keep it in English, and, well, Holland being so small, all you foreigners please bear in mind that almost all of the time people from Holland on this forum have to transport themselves mentally to foreign places ...)
Hans

W

wbrandsma

Hi Hans, I studied in Utrecht and Amersfoort, but the photograph reminded me of the region you've mentioned. Stayed at a campsite between Echten and Fluitenberg (near Hoogeveen) last year not far from the railroad.

I live in Ede, just 35 minutes with the train from Utrecht to Arnhem.

And good fun with the DP2. A friend of my bought one too recently and thinks the focal length is just perfect.

s.agar

Hello Hans,

Very nice photo.

By the way, what's the white stuff all around?. In Istanbul it was 18 degrees (C) yesterday and it was a sunny day. :D

Seyhun

Inside (the train, 'inexorably moving forward') and out, yesterday. On a technical note: DP2, ISO 800, f 6.3 1/80. SPP & a little LR.

Hans

H

HansM

Hello Seyhun,
thank you. Yeah, the white stuff - in Holland your remark would put you in a young age group - as many of the kids around here are seeing snow for the first time. But when it's here, it looks like a typical Dutch winter - which, at least statistically, it is not. Be that as it may, it is the perfect antidote for winterdepression - intstead of what is known here as the 'English weather' we are having most of the time (sorry Derek, it is always easier to blame the other guy...)

Cheers,

Hans

H

HansM

Re: Dutch winter revisited

After a thawing spell, winter returned last Saturday night. It started with a wet, almost rain like snow, that didn't look too attractive from the house. Apprehensively, I went out to walk the dog for the last time that day. But once outside, something changed. The world was transforming once again. Upon returning, I put the dog inside, advised my wife not to wait for me, grabbed my DP2 and went out again. Almost an hour later, around 11:30, I returned. I had never been farther away then some odd 400 meters. I decided it had been a jazzy photo session, no precise classical stuff. It couldn't have been, in the circumstances, but it felt okay and fitting. ISO 3200, lens wide open, shutterspeeds around 0.6 seconds - hand held (luckily, I was frozen stiff most of the time).
The next day, I endlessly chose, positioned and so on, until I was satisfied with eight images that I printed together on one sheet of paper, size A3+ (or Super B). Like a kind of patchwork, or photographic tale of a short walk on a wintry night. Here it is digitally, I hope you like it. (Please respect my copyright.)
Hans

Last edited:

otumay

Very good patchwork, Hans. You have reflected a dark, but soft ambiance, and the pieces go together well. DP2 has done an admirable job also.
Best,
Osman

H

HansM

Thank you, Osman. Choosing (selecting) and combining the separate pieces was quite a puzzle - but pleasantly so. Had to leave out a few darlings as well because they didn't fit in. Nice to hear you appreciate the result. DP2 is also very happy with your compliments.
Kind regards,
Hans