The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hong Kong Cemetery -- The Bells

Don Ellis

You were nice enough to comment on my other Hong Kong Cemetery shot that I thought I would share another.

One of the charming features of many Hong Kong tombstones is a photo of the resident – it gives you a chance the person as individual. And I’m especially charmed when two people are together. I don’t know what lies on the other side of life, but being buried together and leaving behind a photographic memento strikes me as very hopeful.

Click image for full-size DP2 image.

Don

R

Richard Franiec

You were nice enough to comment on my other Hong Kong Cemetery shot that I thought I would share another.

One of the charming features of many Hong Kong tombstones is a photo of the resident – it gives you a chance the person as individual. And I’m especially charmed when two people are together. I don’t know what lies on the other side of life, but being buried together and leaving behind a photographic memento strikes me as very hopeful.

Click image for full-size DP2 image.

Don
Don, thank you for posting this.
Putting photographs on the tombstones used to be common practice in Europe. Many photographs were developed in sepia which gave them distinctive look.
Usually people were added to the family grave as they died, same with photos but sometimes was more economical to put photographs and names first and inscriptions of the date of death later.

Cheers

Richard

Don Ellis

Usually people were added to the family grave as they died, same with photos but sometimes was more economical to put photographs and names first and inscriptions of the date of death later.
Like little "Reserved" signs at the restaurant -- I love it. :D

Thanks for the insights, Richard.

Don

pollobarca

Nice colour and detail Don. He looked a gentle type of person, she looks like she was summing up the photographer and seeing that the guy was working for his money. A normal couple !

Photos on tombs in Italy are still the norm. Normally people put up the ID card photo, some get imaginative and use a happy occasion photo, so we can see the guy was a drunkard and died from a mix of barbera and salami ( in one I know you can see the cholesterol!) or she was a merry widow enjoying life after losing the barbera swilling hubby , really people should be more careful with their pix. But Italy is not representative as an example, tombs and worshipping the dead is a national obsession and BIG business . I will have to photograph the cemetery near me. There's quite a lot of life going on there really.

Don Ellis

It's easy to think that interracial marriages are a recent phenomenon -- obviously not. :) ID card photos sound pretty grim... I think I prefer something like this fellow:

If you do visit the cemetery, I look forward to seeing your photos.

Cheers,
Don

pollobarca

Yes Don, I've been thinking about it for a while now.
We can see in your second photo what may have helped the guy into the grave...
Interracial marriages have been around since people started making babies! What is new
are racial laws and prejudices.

All the best

paul

Don Ellis

I'm running out the door but I must say that is a beautiful shot! And beautifully composed with the position and light color of the welcome mat. I love it. Welcome home all ye who roam the earth.

ShiroKuro

Don the other mat says welcome in japanese ..." irashaimase" thought it was funny to have both of these mats placed on a waiting grave site ...

pollobarca

Don,

finally got around to going to the local cemetery.

IDA SCHIATTI looks like she was good fun.

The glass here is very expensive!

More to come!

Don Ellis

These are great, Paul. It really must be a safe place to have the little "snap-off" cameo photos on the gravestones. :) And there is a some real care and attention lavished on this memorials -- and on your photos. Thank you... I look forward to more when you find time.

Cheers,
Don

pollobarca

Thanks Don,
Italians spend far too much on their cemeteries, in my opinion!
Heres the Grappeggia Family tomb:-
Grappeggia Family tomb. Grappeggia had a discount furniture store, lots of TV advertising and a catchy jingle. The Tomb kept the company colours and the Typeface of the trademark name...... Business even in death! Typical Brianza / Seregno attitude towards money.

this looks like a nice guy but what a name
"Ildefonso Trombetta" his father must have been a real Tromboneeee!
(If anyone knows Toto the comedians famous sketch with the honourable Trombetta this guys name will raise a smile)

Don Ellis

Thanks Don,
Italians spend far too much on their cemeteries, in my opinion!
Heres the Grappeggia Family tomb:-
Grappeggia Family tomb. Grappeggia had a discount furniture store, lots of TV advertising and a catchy jingle. The Tomb kept the company colours and the Typeface of the trademark name...... Business even in death!
That looks like a great place to stay even when you're alive! Well, with a few more windows, anyway. :)

this looks like a nice guy but what a name
"Ildefonso Trombetta" his father must have been a real Tromboneeee!
(If anyone knows Toto the comedians famous sketch with the honourable Trombetta this guys name will raise a smile)
Not familiar with that particular sketch, but he looks like a fun guy. Between those little cameo photos and this triangle on its end, I see that Italian graves like a bit of a balancing act.

Thanks for the photos... it's always interesting to see the eternal resting places of other countries.

Cheers,
Don