The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a request for help #2

smokysun

thanks for all your help on the first round! i've been working up the theater rehearsal photos this week and here's what i have:

www.pbase.com/wwp/entry1

the barnack requires ten to twelve. i'd love some feedback on the strongest pictures. also i've changed the title to 'the dress rehearsal'. that seems to resonate beyond the play itself.

my idea to show the actors before they jump into the parts and how they look afterwards when they do. this has to show in so few photos! every one must have impact and feed the story.

thanks again. your curatorial work now would be much appreciated.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i've sometimes included two different versions of the same photo.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Wayne,
My edit.... 5, 10, 12?, 15, 18, 22, 24, 25, 28, 29, 34?, 44, 55
The above with ? marks could be cut if need be.
I selected after viewing the set for about 40 minutes....
The images I selected, each could stand on it's own without supporting images.
It's just me but...I feel strong in my selection.

The people looking at your work will be looking at it 2 ways...
1st as a unit..and 2nd most importantly, as an individual image.
Good luck in your venture......
don

smokysun

thanks, don. your curatorial expertise much appreciated. especially since i never would have come up with this group. i can see why a photographer needs an art director (as annie liebovitz discovered when she got to vogue. someone there had to teach her which her best.) i've posted the ones you picked, minus the two question-marked (much as i hated to leave them out).

www.pbase.com/wwp/don

it's interesting to run them a few times as a slideshow and then go back thru the original set

www.pbase.com/wwp/entry1

partly cause so much has to be left out! thanks again. and any other input from those on board much welcomed.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Wayne,
Tuff set but it reads very well like this...
I confirmed my thoughts with 2 others...we are in agreement...now it's your turn...
Let me know....

121725999.5AJWAeOW.jpg, 121725998.kezzycZQ.jpg, 121725995.TTQE5CVH.jpg,

121726000.PnmuIOot.jpg, 121726002.cmC1sxWC.jpg, 121726003.aDQZtgfv.jpg,

121726004.lvAiERYN.jpg, 121725996.Xanv5ez8.jpg, 121725997.eRO255Ud.jpg,

121726001.z9EhSWOk.jpg, 121725994.7KaeSzdK.jpg

smokysun

hi don,
thanks to you and your friends! could you check and see if i've got the order right?

www.pbase.com/wwp/don

and then what about the title? possibilities

the actors
photoshoot
final dress

any other, more telling ideas?

thanks again,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. remember how w. eugene smith used to fight with his life editors? well, later a magazine gave him full control and they said the sequence he provided proved embarasssing. those editors at life helped him to become what he was. (same thing happened to thomas wolfe and his editor sax cummins.) sometimes you just can't do it alone. i like the choice and sequence very much.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I think it matches my ideas. How about yours?
The sequence reads very well.
Title image? Maybe one out of the set.

smokysun

yes, it actually fits my original title: the actors. a lot of others about the play, but that's not what i wanted to focus on. so this worked out well. also, this title fairly neutral.

www.pbase.com/wwp/don

it is interesting you've picked ones mainly about relationship. in your own work that's what i've always thought your strong point. you capture people at some point of unusual and gentler connection. just a thought. and that fits well cause i have great admiration for actors like these. not a lot of ego floating around. and theater all about relationships.

now i'll pass it by the director of the theater (and the play) to see what he says. i'll let you know his response. i would like his stamp of approval. (I'll see him this evening.)

it looks like the first picture chosen will be the one they display before someone opens up your particular series. do you think it will arouse enough interest? i've gone through a lot of entries again and there's nothing like this so far (a month to go).

thanks again, wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited: