The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the camera addict

smokysun

this is far worse than sex, no matter what the media say! couldn't resist a fuji s3pro when it showed up in buy and sell. got a couple extra lenses (nikon mount) to try. i loved fujichrome. and the high dynamic range of the sensor highly regarded. all arrived yesterday. and so i've been out in the park playing, including a stop at the nature center. here are the first results. the write time slow, everything else up to speed.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

otumay

Wayne, I'm sure you'll love the S3. I used an S5, and still have fond memories...
Best,
Osman

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Enjoy the camera, Wayne, Like Osman, I used an S5 (I had 3...yes, I'm an addict, too.) It was one of my all-time favorite cameras. When I look back at the photos, I wonder at the DR.

smokysun

thanks, cindy and osman, for the encouragement. i've decided we need to buy new cameras, especially old and quirky ones, to stave of alzheimer's! and i'd forgotten how it builds upper body strength hoisting a heavy machine.

pretty amazed at the different kinds of iimages i'm getting. overcast today. the bishop a piece of kleenex and the electric box reminds me of brancusi's 'the kiss.'

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:
D

D upton-Hackett.

Vary-very nice wayne especially #5 the bird in last set.

Derek.

smokysun

thanks, derek. the odd thing is the raccoon is painted and the bird is real! well, it looks like were in for ten days of rain. that will curtail the outdoor shooting. i've put a bunch of these park pics online

www.pbase.com/wwp/pw

hope you're enjoying the d2!

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

s.agar

Wayne,

I still have the S5 and I'm using it from time to time, after selling the D700 and most lenses.

I still highly regard this camera because of the colors it can record. I usually take RAW photos and develop with C1 (despite the fact that it gives only 6MP photos, and does not consider the Fuji extrapolation to 12MP). But it still uses the double pixel data to develop to JPG.

It was also a high ISO camera when it was introduced, but now the new Canon/Nikon's are better. However, no other SLR can beat the Fuji colors (taking aside the faveon sensor of Sigma's, which is still another option).

Hope to see more photos, but of course in the other more appropriate sections of the forum :rolleyes: since you have been now a photographer with a DX sensor!

Seyhun

smokysun

still playing with it. actually, my heart remains with the small cameras and unless i can come up with something really special, i suspect the s3 too will drop by the wayside! still searching for a unique look. back at the park this afternoon. used a very cheap tamron 70-300 on the s3.

thanks,

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:
D

D upton-Hackett.

Wayne.

having a wonderful time, D2 is teaching me how photography should be, making loads of mistakes but still learning. (hopefully)

smokysun

took a walk around the co-housing complex where i rent a room. tested the nikon 50 1.8 on the fuji. noisy but sharp. finding focus not always easy. the dynamic range and colors all they're cracked up to be. sometimes reminds me of the classier, larger polaroids. still, i wish it were the size of the dp1. fuji needs to take this step.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

s.agar

Wayne, you may find out that the Fuji may be difficult to drop aside. Your photos are so beautiful. The only disadvantage is the size of the camera and somewhat slow response. But that is also the case with many small sensor cameras.

smokysun

egad, you may be right! last nite ran across a used f5 for sale and spent a lot of time reading reviews. better operation, but the pictures don't seem improved.

your comment made me realize what i've been looking for: meaningful color. eight years of heavy shooting and i've never been satisfied with my color shots. raised on life magazine and b&w wwII, i just seem to get a more powerful result that way (and in ir). (re-did the cat pic.)

i'll keep working with this. just did a few more pics from yesterday. my allergies debilitating me, so i may stay in. chico is asthma capitol of the world.

thanks for your thoughts.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Wayne,
Aside from everything else, I love the way you process.....it always fits the image just right...and yet, not stamped out....
don

smokysun

hi don,

amin sent me your interview. really enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words. i do feel my processing more conservative than it used to be, partly out of laziness! i used to spend whole days in front of the computer, experimenting. like you, i've come to enjoy being out and about more (blast these allergies, slowed me down today).

thanks again. you're an inspiration to us all.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

it interesting to me how many ways an image can go. we have the whole history of photography at our fingertips (literally).

wayne
www,pbase.com/wwp

Last edited: