The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1x!

retow

The DP1x will definitely be worth an upgrade, since it has the improved UI of the DP2 as well. Since Sigma is not the fastest in releasing announced products into the market, there will be enough time to start saving money for the purchase:). A pity that they missed the opportunity to better the LCD monitor. And as we talk about wishlist, a f2,8 lens would have been great as well.
For DP2 owners, I doubt that the new model offers anything worth bothering. Unless AF and file write time improved substantially.

agoglanian

While at the PMA show I got to play with both the DP1x and DP2s, I can tell you (from being a former DP1 owner) the AF was WAY WAY better.

Rawfa

Darn, this REALLY makes me want to get this camera. With the DP1 I had the best results from all compacts I've ever owned (and some DSLR!). But now that Sigma has announced they will be getting onboard with the mirrorless DSLR systems I preffer to tough it out and wait. Knowing Sigma it they will take it's time (I wouldn't wait for it for the next 2 or 3 years).

madmaxmedia

While at the PMA show I got to play with both the DP1x and DP2s, I can tell you (from being a former DP1 owner) the AF was WAY WAY better.
Wow, that's really great to hear! The AF was probably the worst complaint I had with the DP1 (besides the RAW write time which I assume is improved now too?)

f/2.8 would be great too on the DP1, but I can understand them not making significant optical changes.

Kofronj

Rawfa,

What Yamaki-san said is that Sigma was considering a 'mirrorless compact' with interchangable lens. They're not currently working on it, and they were considering it a couple years before the DP1 was released. So I wouldn't hold my breath for that camera. Reports are that the DP1x and DP2s focus much faster, so if that was the primary turn-off you might want to give it another try.

Rawfa

I used to own a DP1, then I sold it, then I bought another one and then I sold it when I bought the E-P1. I REALLY considered selling the E-P1 instead. I never managed to get the satisfaction I got from the DP1 out of the E-P1. BUT the E-P1 is a more polyvalent camera with all the different types of lenses it can use, strong high iso performance, HD video, excellent controls (IMO). I'll wait as long as I have to for that incredible foveon look with interchangeable lenses. I cannot begin to imagine what a full hd video shot with a foveon sensor would look like.

smokysun

i feel like the dp1 has made me a better photographer. maybe it's the limitations, having to make the most of what is given. too many lenses means too many choices and a lack of a personal point of view?

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

otumay

I agree with both of you. DP1, despite its shortcomings, taught me how to control the light so that I could see natural colors in their full bloom. I'm always positively surprised when I see some shots coming out of this small magic.
Osman

Rawfa

too many lenses means too many choices and a lack of a personal point of view?

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
Wayne, I’m afraid that is not my point of view over this matter  . I find that it is perfectly normal to have different points of view over different subjects and not the same point of view over all subjects. But that is the beauty of the age we live in...we can all choose.

Rawfa

I agree with both of you. DP1, despite its shortcomings, taught me how to control the light so that I could see natural colors in their full bloom. I'm always positively surprised when I see some shots coming out of this small magic.
Osman
IQ wise on plain day light I have yet to find a camera that makes me gaze my eyes in surprise like the DP1 did. It IS magic.

retow

I used to own a DP1, then I sold it, then I bought another one and then I sold it when I bought the E-P1. I REALLY considered selling the E-P1 instead. I never managed to get the satisfaction I got from the DP1 out of the E-P1. BUT the E-P1 is a more polyvalent camera with all the different types of lenses it can use, strong high iso performance, HD video, excellent controls (IMO). I'll wait as long as I have to for that incredible foveon look with interchangeable lenses. I cannot begin to imagine what a full hd video shot with a foveon sensor would look like.
How about having both. Classic DP1's (new) are auctioned at very low prices on e-bay. The EP is great for its versatility and good IQ, but in their comfort zones the DPs' really (out)shine.

Rawfa

I've thought about it many times but I really don’t want to walk around with 2 cameras. I’ll just wait for Sigma to get inspired. In the meanwhile the micro 4/3 system will evolve and get better and better. Who knows, maybe when the “Sigma DP4/3” comes out the m4/3 will be so advanced that I won’t even need to get the Sigma after all…though I would really prefer if Sigma stopped being so lazy and got to work on their system NOW (and that is was compatible with the m4/3 as I have already many lenses).

D

D upton-Hackett.

Just announced the Sigma DP2s carries an RRP of €799

Hope it is justified,

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Never owned or tested any Foveon based camera, but saw some pictures in the internet from this sensor. Looks good. But is it really so much better than for example the current sensor in the EP2?

smokysun

the picture with the foveon seems more detailed and etched. it's not a look everyone needs or likes. also, what you can do with the color different. all this means post-processing raw in the sigma software first. as a b&w camera, it can't be beat.

wayne

www.pbase.com/wwp