The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photos from a small island

otumay

Hi everyone! I know Sigma DP1 is no novelty anymore, after all its recently introduced and improved siblings. But it is all I have, and I took it with me for a two day trip on the occasion of St.Valentine's Day.
Heybeliada is the second largest of the Prince's Islands, just a few miles south of Istanbul. Unfortunately it sits on top of the Marmara Fault, where a major earthquake is expected. A much favored resort during the summer, it was a bit forlorn in February and the rain did not help to dissipate this feeling.
Hope you enjoy the trip.
Best regards,
Osman

City lights as seen from our hotel room:

otumay

And this is the second half of the show. Thanks for looking.

The old windmill:

Two smaller islands:

There are millions of cats on the island. Here are two of them:

The ferry arriving: Time to go home.

Tim

Osman, I don't know why, but I am drawn to the old windmill, I think the structure interests me. Good image!

D

D upton-Hackett.

Osman. enjoyed those super photos, liked the inquisitive cats.

pollobarca

Osman,
a lovely set of beautiful pictures. I really like the photo before the cats, trees-bay-picnic table all nicely placed to get the eye roving round the picture and the twinkly light making it even a little fantasy like. Also like the fishing boat a lot. I do have a soft touch for those subjects though!.
I will use these pics to try and convince my wife we should go to Turkey this year.

paul

otumay

Thank you Tim, Derek and Paul. All I can say is that it's so easy to shoot interesting photos in a city with a thousand faces.
Paul, I do hope that you convince your wife for a trip here. I'm sure she'll be delighted in the old city.
Osman

Don Ellis

These are just great, Osman. One of the drawbacks of life is that we can't visit everywhere, but we do have the magic of photography (and a good eye on some people) to transport us there. Thanks for the trip... and if I have to choose a favorite (and I do), it's number 2... well, number 92, really.

otumay

Thank you very much, Don. Funny how we could escape the bustle of city-life to enjoy love and peace in harmony with the elements, just after a 45-minute ferry trip. Actually the moment the ferry started, we felt already transformed spiritually.

As I did not wish to lug a heavy DSLR combo with me, I had the luxury of choosing my beloved DP1 so that we could wander around the island freely.

Best,

Osman

Lili

Lovely, Otumay
as to having one camera...my ex, an Old West Style competitive shooter, used to quote the old gunfighters adage; beware the Man with one Gun 'cause he KNOWS how to use it.
That applies here to you very much.
Your work is consistently excellent.

otumay

Thank you Lili. I had just posted my appreciation for your shot in your Grackle thread, and now here I come upon your most kind encouragement.
The gunfighter adage is very apt; here is my version (we can call it the expressively challenged shooter's adage): The camera that lets you express yourself better is always dearest to your heart, no matter what the critics say:)
Best,
Osman

s.agar

:D

BTW, your photos are great. When I wiev with Firefox, the colors are much better, whereas a lot is lost when I use the Opera browser.

Last edited:

otumay

Thanks, as I only use Firefox, I was unaware of the problem with Opera browser. You certainly deserve highest praise Seyhun, because it was you who lent me the DP1.

sonomichele

I love the bike picture, it just so intrudes on the ageless age of the building... your photos make me want a DP as well (maybe some day).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Osman,

absolutely stunning shots. And I must say I am overwhelmed by the IQ coming out of this camera. Maybe I should look at some of the newer models for myself ......

otumay

Thank you, Peter. I read that the newer models are faster in focusing and writing to memory card, among other improvements.
Osman