The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Original Ricoh GR Digital jpeg prints???

JDavila

Hello,

I have heard over and over how great the jpegs B&W are from the Original Ricoh GRD still because of the ability to turn NR off. Although I like to shoot RAW I was wondering what the prints look like from the jpeg files. Also exactly how large the print could be in B&W and still look good??

Thnxs
JD

madmaxmedia

This sort of thing can be subjective...I really like the GRD though. I would go to pixel-peeper.com and look for some original resolution pics from the GRD, and maybe make a print yourself.

A lot depends on the ISO. IMO the camera is best up to ISO 400, after that the noise is not so objectionable to me personally for B&W, but there is definitely more detail loss.

JDavila

Thanks Madmaxmedia.

Would you happen to know the best memory card(fastest raw) to get for this camera. I did not get it for the raw shooting capabilities rather its jpegs capabilities but still.

I just picked one up to satisfy my curiosity, It arrives in a couple of days and I understand they do not take cards over 2GB and sdhc.

Any help would be appreciated.

JD

madmaxmedia

I think there's a thread at Ricohforum.com where people tested RAW write time with different cards. I guess it's better to get the fastest card you can, just in case. I never shot RAW with it myself.

You're right- 2GB is the max card size, and no SDHC.

Enjoy the cam, I still really like it. The actual sensor is somewhat outdated, but for B&W ISO 400's look very good if you want that look. 800 and I guess even 1600 can be usable- images still have that 'film-like' look (easiest way to describe it), but detail is really starting to erode.

I really wish there was a modern equivalent of the GRD I, with more dynamic range, 2 stops less noise, but same JPEG processing. Actually the E-P1 with noise reduction at low setting is pretty good in my eyes with high ISO B&W. But it doesnt handle like a GRD.

Also, this guy got some interesting results with high contrast and color settings-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nacoki/sets/72057594061269305/

Overcooked, but in a cool way for certain images.

JDavila

Thank you. yes I read that discussion but I thought it might be outdated and another sd card might have come along to make it better, Thanks again.

JD

JDavila

Kwelde,

Thanks for that link. I just received the camera but have to get a non SDHC lower than 4GB so I will have to wait to really play with it.

I sold my GRD2 so I can get this. I will get the GRD3 eventually.

Q: Is it normal for the LCD to be kind of overly bright I want to say, like a white translucent film covering it??
Q: There is not a NR turn off on this model as well I take it??

Prob not since it has low noise already right?

madmaxmedia

The LCD definitely isn't the highest quality, hard to say exactly based on your description but I would guess that it's okay.

I don't believe there's a NR setting on the camera, as you say it is basically low NR applied.