The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More "Mistake" Photos

DavidE

I've been traveling this week, but wanted to follow up on the interesting thread we had going on last week with blur-as-high-art images.

Here are two more entries for this emerging category. The first was taken with a lowly Sanyo C4. The second was captured the same night and with the same camera (an Olympus C-60Z) as the alien-through-the-window photo I posted over a week ago.

cam

leiter legs

excellent, David! i especially love your "lowly" camera one. total dog devotion. (there is no lowly camera, btw. they are all still magic!)

you shouldn't have started this thread, though. i've become completely enamoured with my mistakes lately. they seem to express what i'm feeling better than the ones i get right...

i'm including my favourite "mistake," taken on the GRDII:

Last edited:

helenhill

Fun Mistakes...... Very Cool Will & Cam
This one is from the GRd. Forgot I was on Scene Mode
Different than yours
Unfortunately it misses the other worldliness aspect
which I do looove in your shots
but there's Something about this Mistake .....a shot of my pug
Best, helen:)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Finally, a place for mistakes to live! Here's the accidental shutter trip under my desk lamp.

sizifo

This is a cool thread.

OK. These are not 100% mistakes, in the sense that it looks like abstract art like some of the above, just far from what was intended.

1) This one I just pressed the button pointing the camera through a glass. Nothing was intended really. Through a glass darkly, literally.

2) Had no intention of getting so much sky.

3) I actually saw the guy coming into the frame, and waited for him. But again the framing was far from what was intended, and the finger on the guitar is just luck.

My point regarding 1 and 2 is that I'd never frame like that deliberately, but they sort of work (or perhaps not?).

Helen, that looks really good, but i'd never guess it was a photo of a dog. Somebody commented a while back that this forum is being turned into a pet forum (Guy, i think), but I think this is the first abstract dog photo.

Will

I'll have to look through my files to see what I have lurking.

BTW Helen, until I read the comment in your post I honestly thought your image was a nude study lol (I need to get out more)

I took these at a party years ago and kept not waiting long enough for the flash to charge up. With hindsight they came out much better than the ones where the flash did fire!

Aunt and new nephew

Doting friends and baby

Father and son

Broody young couple

Last edited:

DavidE

What a fun thread! These are terrific images.

Here are a couple more.

The first was shot with a Panasonic AV-SV50.

The second was shot with an Olympus E-10. Dodie, the cat, was starting to yawn (it's sad when even your cat is bored by your presence). I was too close -- and didn't have time -- to focus, but figured I would go for the shot anyway.

Lili

Dave B, Owner-Manager of Texas Showgirls in Wichita Falls, demonstrate technique on under-construction-Main Stage.
I forgot I was on slow synch flash with my GRD/GW-1 ;)

DavidE

Lili, you could submit that one to LOL-Owner-Manager.com (if it existed) with the caption: Imaginary basketball goal.

M

meilicke

I have been thinking about a thread like this, glad someone else did too.

cam

I have been thinking about a thread like this, glad someone else did too.
see, pics like that i totally consider keepers! they truly express the moment better than a technically perfect shot could ever do.

some people poo-poo these shots but i disagree. they say it's not photography -- phooey, it is! -- and it can be art as well. i think the key is when the blur actually strengthens the image, either the motion or the emotion, ideally both.

i'm really sitting on my hands here as i have too many that i love and i refuse to hog this thread up :ROTFL: at least 5 of my top 30 "most interesting" on flickr are technically flawed (to say the least) as are 3 that made it into explore. go figure.

helenhill

see, pics like that i totally consider keepers!

some people poo-poo these shots but i disagree. they say it's not photography -- phooey, it is! -- and it can be art as well. i think the key is when the blur actually strengthens the image, either the motion or the emotion, ideally both.

i'm really sitting on my hands here as i have too many that i love and i refuse to hog this thread up :ROTFL: at least 5 of my top 30 "most interesting" on flickr are technically flawed (to say the least) as are 3 that made it into explore. go figure.
Oh put them up Cam........
Otherwise if you keep sitting on your hands (I'm sure the doctor will disapprove :shocked: )
we won't be able to shoot together this May

To All Mistake Keepers
Fab photos.......I feel I'm living on a Sci Fi Channel
best, helen

P

pcheywood

I usually scrub them before they make it to the card reader, but I knew there was a reason that I couldn't face scrubbing this one.

View attachment 3248

It's from my first 'proper' outing with the GX100, and from the hip.

Paul.