The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not a concert shot

Don Ellis

Instead, it's just a quick shot at Ned Kelly's, Hong Kong's Australian pub. The pub is an institution that I've never visited in my 25 years here... but on Saturday night, after dinner with friends, it was still too early to go home and we decided to pop in.

From the outside, it looked like a deserted building, but inside inside it was packed and hopping.

A six-piece band (one man is behind the curtain) was about 12 feet away (Ned's is a pretty tiny place) and at the moment you see here, I took my first ISO800 shot with the DP2 just to see what it would look like.

Frankly, I was pretty impressed, especially since I bought the camera for its DOF abilities more than any low-light performance. I did minimal post-processing (Auto-Contrast, which didn't change much of anything, and slight Curves) -- and no noise reduction.

Click on the image for the full-size image.

This is just a for-what-it's-worth shot for anyone wondering about the low-light, high-ISO capabilities of the camera.

Sigma DP2, ISO800, f/2.8, 1/30.

Cheers,
Don

s.agar

Impressive shot at 800 ISO. I have checked the full size image too. Nice grainy look.
I wouldn't have expected it from Sigma, but my experience is limited to DP-1 only.

Don Ellis

It was nice of you all to comment... thank you. I don't know that I'll be doing any journalism with it, but it was nice to know that ISO800 is acceptable in many instances, especially when you're not expecting completely grain-free images. Still, it was 1/30th of a second... if those guys are playing (and moving faster), you'd need to bump the camera to ISO1600, which I should have done just to see what it looked like. Next time, I guess.

Cheers,
Don