The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Spooks with a DP2

Don Ellis

I took some shots of the animal in the late afternoon sun on the terrace and posted a G9 shot in another thread.

I'm not obsessed with this guy, it's just that I'm trying to decide which cameras I love and which I can let go. I have two each of the G1, Pro 1 and G9 and frankly that's too many decisions to make, despite the fact that three of them are used for infrared.

Anyway, after I took a few DP2 shots of him, I grabbed the G9 and the teleconverter for fun. But after seeing the images from the DP2, I wonder if I shouldn't sell everything else. :D

DP2, ISO100, f/7.1, 1/250s.

Don Ellis

Thank you... actually, he's a pain in the neck to photograph. As soon as you get near him, he comes right over for a pet. Here's another one from this afternoon:

pollobarca

The cat looks a bit too lean to be of interest in Vicenza ( Vicentini mangiano gattini).
Looks like a good mouser though.

Diane B

I think you answered your own question there! :)

Bill
I tend to agree. And--it is a royal pain to decide what camera to pick up and use. I'm down to 3, but 2 with same sensor, lenses. I passed my G9 to my husband to replace his F30 (which has gone bonkers--he prefers the smaller size but likes the G9 output better). You probably can't do that LOL--I'm sure Leela has her own preferences .

Don Ellis

Do keep the DP2, Don. You make it sing!
That's very kind... thank you. It's no contest, really... the DP2 stays. Once you get a larger sensor, it's hard to go back to something smaller. And I guess I've become one of those people who thinks there really is something popping off the Foveon sensors. :)

It almost makes me want to consider the SD15, but since it has the same size sensor as the DP2, I don't think that's going to happen.

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

The cat looks a bit too lean to be of interest in Vicenza ( Vicentini mangiano gattini).
Looks like a good mouser though.
He is, much to Leela's chagrin. She arrived home the other day to find a pair of mice waiting just inside the front door. And how he catches adult bulbuls is beyond me... they must be half-asleep on a low branch.

Until he arrived in our lives, we used to have bird feeders on the terrace -- that's something we stopped soon after. No reason to aid and abet. :)

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

I tend to agree. And--it is a royal pain to decide what camera to pick up and use. I'm down to 3, but 2 with same sensor, lenses. I passed my G9 to my husband to replace his F30 (which has gone bonkers--he prefers the smaller size but likes the G9 output better). You probably can't do that LOL--I'm sure Leela has her own preferences .
Considering how little you can get for used cameras (assuming you can sell them at all), I'm thinking I should just keep them until the Smithsonian calls -- as I grow older, I want fewer choices in life, not more. But then I realize that I would probably miss the infrareds immediately, even though I haven't used them in months. And I would save the G9 for macros, if nothing else. Decisions, decisions. I'll keep you posted.

You're right about Leela having her own preferences. She usually doesn't like me buying cameras for her (and I never give her hand-downs :)), but after I heard a few too many complaints about the weight of her G9, and I saw that she wasn't carrying her camera with her most of the time, I bought her an S90... and she loves it. She even used it to create a small movie for a BBC competition the other day. I must say that I sometimes think I would like an S90 to fill the gap between the iPhone and the DP2 -- but then we'd be back to choices. It's Saturday -- I'm going to go lie down and think about all this.

Cheers,
Don

clark666

Just don't try a full frame dSLR, you will just sit at home deciding which one to bring and not photograph anything.

Don Ellis

Just don't try a full frame dSLR, you will just sit at home deciding which one to bring and not photograph anything.
Isn't that the truth. Just after I bought my first Canon G1 in 2001, I sold off my two Nikon F90X (N90S) bodies and two big zooms -- I was getting tired of being a pack animal. And thanks to compact digitals, ever since then I've had a camera with me.

I must say, though, that my problem now is that for advertising purposes -- print ads, brochures and the like -- the file sizes are just not large enough. In practice they might be, but stock houses and art directors are accustomed to seeing files of a certain minimum size and they're not going to listen to any "ability to up-res" stories about compact or Foveon sensors. So I'm contemplating a DSLR... but I'll always carry the DP2.

Cheers,
Don