The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to use Fuji f30 for low light

tom in mpls

I have a friend who has a Fuji f30, which has the reputation of the best high ISO results among the small p&s cameras. He wants to use it for indoor shooting without flash. However he is having difficulty getting acceptable results. I'd appreciate advice on what camera settings will be most successful for his indoor shots; I think he's relying on auto settings now and I bet he can do better if he chooses specific settings. Is it just a matter of selecting a high ISO setting?

smokysun

have him try doing minus ev's and test the various iso's. also shoot standard instead of chromium. the later cranks up the colors, contrast, etc, more prone to noise. i haven't tried shooting in b&w. that might be an option.

Lili

Without knowing his exact needs/lighting conditions it is hard to make a suggestion.
To start with, keep the lens at the wide end; he will likely need the fast aperture and it loses that fast as one zooms.
Also, try keeping it at A, aperture preferred; then he can set the ISO to 800 or 1600, 3200 is great only compared to other compacts.

tom in mpls

Without knowing his exact needs/lighting conditions it is hard to make a suggestion.
To start with, keep the lens at the wide end; he will likely need the fast aperture and it loses that fast as one zooms.
Also, try keeping it at A, aperture preferred; then he can set the ISO to 800 or 1600, 3200 is great only compared to other compacts.
Thanks, and sorry for not providing more detail. Mostly this is for taking pics of friends at social events indoors.