The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

wrap case for DP1

helenhill

Hi Brad
OK, Aside from the 'fashion statement case' ;)
What's your impression of the Dp1 .......in love or still courting
Post some pix PLEASE:grin:
cheers ! Helen ....who is still sitting on the fence

bradhusick

Let me begin with an answer to the last question: YES, I will bring the DP1 to San Juan if you'd like me to. I will also bring the incredibly cute external flash for it. I mention this because this flash works in manual mode on the M8! It's a very convenient little flash to have in your pocket for challenging situations.

Second, as to my experiences with it, we are still in the courting phase. Here are some of my likes/dislikes so far after a few weeks:

- amazing image quality, better than any compact camera I have ever used
- extremely sharp lens from corner to corner
- good auto exposure
- low noise up to and including ISO 400
- easy to carry around
- SDHC support (unlike M8)
- nice external flash

Dislikes:
- autofocus is slow and doesn't work in low light
- LCD is low resolution so it's hard to use manual focus and hard to review photos
- f/4.0 is slow for a compact camera, wish it was f/2.8
- square body is difficult to get a grip on, so I applied egrips at strategic locations
- very weak (unusable) built-in flash
- lens cap must be put on with logo upright. This is the first camera I have used that cares about the orientation used when you put the lens cap on.

So far, I am keeping the DP1 and use it when I need a few quick grabs or I need to keep it all in my pocket. Other than that, I would rather take an M8 along. Other compact cameras (I have owned more than a dozen) have always been a disappointment in image quality regardless of what other features they offer. I think there's no substitute for a generous sensor with big photosites. I hope other manufacturers follow Sigma's lead and introduce their own variations.

Terry

Your experience so far seems to be the norm. However a lot of shots (even ones that posters think look good) have the magenta color cast going on and it seems like people are not having an easy time working the files.
My small sensor cameras for the most part all just got shoved to the back of the closet to make way for a D300....which can essentially be set in point and shoot mode when one wants to be somewhat lazy.

bradhusick

I'm not having big problems with a magenta cast from the DP1. The Nikon D1 used to give me a lot of magenta, but you learn to compensate pretty quickly in Lightroom and/or Photoshop. My DP1 workflow is to use the Sigma software in batch mode to output 16-bit TIFFs that I import to Lightroom. All my image work starts in Lightroom.

Aside from the M8's, my other camera is a Canon 1D Mark III for when I need autofocus and fast frame rates. I like having a 1.3X factor for telephoto and 10 frames per second. It's a big heavy beast, but it certainly does the job when called upon.

Horses for courses.

Brian Mosley

Good summary Brad, the DP1 does have the best IQ of any compact camera today - which makes it my emergency cam, to carry everywhere in a pocket for when I don't have a DSLR + high quality 28mm fov lens (rather more bulky!)

I'm settling into a workflow (do the best I can with SPP v2.5 and then export to med size tiff for finishing in LightZone) but looking forward to native 3rd party RAW converter support.
Wish I could be with you for that next outing!

Kind Regards

Brian

Will

"- lens cap must be put on with logo upright. This is the first camera I have used that cares about the orientation used when you put the lens cap on."

I find that the AMGIS lens cap works equally well, in fact I prefer it.

Brian Mosley

LOL, AMGIS... you subversive anti-brand fan you! just be thankful it's not in dayglo orange (like the Sony alpha squiggle... yuck!)

Kind Regards

Brian