The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sigma software question

smokysun

how do you save to a different file from the picture's source without going thru thee extra steps? in other words can you set it so the forwarding file comes up every time and not the source file?

thanks,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

otumay

Wayne, once I choose a target folder, the save dialog always comes up with that folder as default. So, it is a single step for me. Maybe this is because I use a Mac, maybe not.
I hope this answers your question.
Best regards,
Osman

otumay

Wayne, this may sound foolish, but as Macs now can operate Windows as well, you might consider a Mac (a Mini, perhaps) when renewing your computer; my friends who did this are very satisfied with their decision.
Osman

Don Ellis

In the main program, under File, Preferences, there are two choices under Default Saving Location: Same folder as original image or Last saved folder.

In the photo conversion window, when you Save Image As, you can choose your destination.

As for Mac and Win, my most-used computer is a 17-inch MacBook Pro that's been running XP since I got it a year ago. I just reformatted and installed Windows 7 last week -- I liked it before; I love it now. :) Very swish... almost like OSX. :D

D

D upton-Hackett.

under preference settings> working colour space for X3f files, you have 5 choices i use the first one. "same colour space as Exif" would you consider that correct.

Derek.

Don Ellis

under preference settings> working colour space for X3f files, you have 5 choices i use the first one. "same colour space as Exif" would you consider that correct.
Derek.
I consider that correct if you have your camera set to your liking and you like the results. :)

I got all excited a couple of years ago with the larger color space of Adobe RGB, so I set my camera for that, worked on those files in Photoshop, and then posted them on the web. I couldn't understand what they looked so terrible.

The answer, of course, is that you need to convert in Photoshop to sRGB before you post on the web -- suddenly, they're alive again.

I did a lot of looking and experimenting and finally decided Adobe RGB wasn't worth my trouble, so now I shoot and process everything in sRGB.

Cheers,
Don

smokysun

while we're at it, another question. sometimes when i work on the files in photoshop after photo pro. i get 'file damaged' in some way. i go ahead, but i wonder why the message comes up?

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Don Ellis

Not sure what to tell you -- I've never had this happen and I always take my photos into Photoshop. What version of Photoshop are you using? If it's an old version, you might consider downloading the latest CS4 trial for free and seeing if that solves the problem.

otumay

Don, I think I understand Wayne's question, because I face the same problem. I first convert the RAW image to TIFF using PhotoPro, then I open it in CS4 and face this dialog box:

Don Ellis

Maybe it's a Mac thing -- although that sounds weird since PC and Mac versions of Photoshop are so similar. I just converted a file to 16-bit TIF in three color spaces -- Adobe RGB, sRGB, and ProPhoto RGB. I didn't have any problems or messages appear for any of them when I brought them into Photoshop.

smokysun

thanks, osman. that's exactly the message i'm getting. maybe it is the pc. i'm using cs3. don, what i'm wondering is are we losing information that might be valuable in the final print? and it's sporadic, by the way, lots of times it doesn't show up. weird.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Don Ellis

Have you tried converting the same file to three or four different color spaces and then bringing them into Photoshop to see if the message pops up on just the ProPhoto color space? (I wasn't even aware there was a ProPhoto color space, by the way.) :)

otumay

Have you tried converting the same file to three or four different color spaces and then bringing them into Photoshop to see if the message pops up on just the ProPhoto color space? (I wasn't even aware there was a ProPhoto color space, by the way.) :)
Yes, I tried, Don. I always end up with the same prompt. Btw, this is a very recent phenomenon.

Don Ellis

Hmm... I'll put it on the back burner to simmer since I no other breakthroughs come to mind. Maybe something will occur to me. I suppose we should ask Wayne if he's using Mac or PC.