The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First take on street photography

W

wbrandsma

I always wanted to make photographs on the street, but never felt to comfortable with it. After reading Sean Reid's essay, and viewing many photographs from others I finally did it. It still feels strange to take my camera up in front of strangers, but it was funny to realize how many people did not even notice it. And when people noticed me, a friendly nod was enough.
Any comments are very much appreciated. I really want to learn this. Any tips and tricks are helpfull for me.

nostatic

what focal length are those?

For me I like the geometry in 4, the shadows in 3 (although I want to "straighten" the image), and the vibe of 5. Riffing on 5, I would have been interested to see more of the building and less of the road (maybe), or none of the building (maybe), or a bit tighter crop on the two people and the sign (which is where my eyes go).

No warranty implied or expressed, and I am not an authority. Your mileage may vary, see dealer for details.

W

wbrandsma

Thank you nostatic. With the exception of the third photograph all 28mm. The third had a focal length of 35mm. Your comments are very much appreciated, the really do.
With the exception of the last two photos I took them form the hip to get less noticed.

Maggie O

Those are some well-observed and composed urban documentary photographs!

(Like Sean and Garry Winogrand, I don't believe there is such a genre as "Street Photography." It might be a very rough description of a working method, but the photos are not "Street."*)

* remember, y'all asked me to come back!

W

wbrandsma

Thank you Maggie. I might have better written "My first take on photographing street". Though some might describe my 'normal' work as landscape photography, it doesn't feel that to me. Photography on the street is for me an effort to extend the place were I can make photographs.

Love your new avatar by the way. So cool!

nostatic

hmm, this keeps edging me closer to the GRD2. I've been unsure about working at 28 fixed as I've been shooting a lot recently with a 35mm on my dslr (which makes it about a 52mm). But I consistently see shots I like here done at 28mm.

A few more comments. I am drawn to 4 because there is so many parallel and perpendicular lines but it doesn't feel busy. The outline of the building, the marked curb, the shadows. I'd be interested to see it without the cell phone ad. With 3 I really like the shadow of the lights, but I'm not sure how I'd compose them with the people and the shopping cart. But the "wings" shadow is very cool.

W

wbrandsma

I see what you mean nostatic. Though I am not a fan of cropping I will certainly look for 3 and 4 to see in what way I can change it.

I use the GX100 with two 'MY settings'. One with 28mm, prefocused at 2 meters, in aperture mode at f4.6. Setting two is with 35mm, while the other settings remain the same.

A GRD2, or any other small camera, will get less noticed then a dslr.

S

Sean_Reid

Wouter wrote:
"I always wanted to make photographs on the street, but never felt to comfortable with it. After reading Sean Reid's essay, and viewing many photographs from others I finally did it. It still feels strange to take my camera up in front of strangers, but it was funny to realize how many people did not even notice it. And when people noticed me, a friendly nod was enough.
Any comments are very much appreciated. I really want to learn this. Any tips and tricks are helpfull for me."

Great, did you also read "Photographing Strangers"?

My advice:

1. Remember that everything in the frame is subject. It all has to work. The wider the lens is, the tougher this can be sometimes.

2. Look a lot at paintings and also at photographers like Helen Levitt, Garry Winogrand and Robert Frank. Sketch your favorites among those pictures with tracing paper and see how they're made. Look at how everything in the frame is used. If you're not sure who your favorite painters are, now is a good time to find out. We have a lot to learn from the art that was made before the invention of the camera.

3. Forget the idea of "Street Photography" per se, it doesn't help to clarify your task at all. Figure out what you are photographing and then really photograph it. Taking the buzz phrase away can help you to see more clearly what you're really after.

4. People in public places are, in a sense, figures in a kind of landscape. Remember that the landscape/cityscape needs as much attention as the figures.

5. When in doubt, simplify for now - fewer people in the frame, shallower space, simpler elements if need be. Make sure you can juggle three balls well before trying to juggle 30. The better you get, the more visual complexity you may be able to organize and resolve.

6. Read everything in the following series twice and give it a lot of thought. Its some of the best advice to photographers ever written:
http://www.rawworkflow.com/making_pictures/index.html

Cheers,

Sean

cam

awesome that you' stepped outside your comfort level, Wouter, bravo!!!

just remember -- horses are people too ;)

helenhill

Its great to creatively challenge oneself.
You're off to a Great Start........
I like shots 1 and 4
Best, helen ;)

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Thank you Sean for your tips. Especially the writing of Ben Lifson is fascinating and meaningfull. Leaving your comfort level, like Cam said, can be challenging. But is also fun, rewarding, and inspiring. I am getting the feeling of seeing subjects, forms, lines, and curves on the street. But the landscapes can change rapidly on the street, and I want to feel more comfortable with holding the camera in front me.

Again many thanks to you all.

W

wbrandsma

Thank you Mitch for your thoughtful reply. I think you are right that a project in mind can help you see things more clearly and gives more meaning to your work. And getting closer has so much to do with my comfort level too.

Your first example is just absolutely stunning. The composition, the silhouette, and lightning helps this photo to keep simple, yet very powerful.

Next week it will be Queen's day in the Netherlands, with lots of faires and joyfull people. That could be an excellent starting project for me.

Many thanks!

M

micampe

I am, like Wouter, in the process of trying this kind of photography (or at least wanting to, but, unlike Wouter, I still have a long way to build my skills first), and these great thoughts, insights and especially examples are what I am looking for to better understand it. Thanks Sean and Mitch.

And I agree with Wouter, the first picture is amazing Mitch, but I mostly love how you are playing with lights and contrast, how the scenes are quite dark, but with the right amount of light to describe everything.

MisiekBunnik

Congratulations on indeed stepping out the comfort zone... That was well said and all the reply's are a great inspiration for those who are not there just yet.

Because of the fact that the compact/small sensor camera is almost all of the time with us, enthousiasts, it gives us the opportunity to practice everyday...

Indeed, I like sean's view: buildings and such are part of the street, so concentrate on those for composition also!

have fun on the street, wouter, and love to see more!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronaldbunnik/

Last edited:

Joan

Great beginnings, Wouter. I'm eager to see how your pictures progress as you go forward.

Echo the congrats from others on stepping outside your comfort zone and going for it! You have such a good eye, I have no doubts that you'll be successful and that your work will be unique.

Regards,
Joan

W

wbrandsma

Thank you Joan, Michele, and Ronald. Your comments mean a lot to me and really helps me feel more confident. This is a great journey!

Cam, I really appreciate your response on the post on my blog. Your comment (and your recent "lovers" photograph) is a great encouragement.

W

wbrandsma

Here some extra photographs from yesterday. Today we had overcast and some rain.

Lili

Excellent Wouter, you are moving in closer and growing bolder :)
I especially like the one with the girl, her Mom and the stroller :thumbs: