The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

colour and your decision to use it

N

nei1

I think anyone who has become a half descent b&w photographer(in their own opinion)will have a greater understanding of colour when they eventually arrive there.Some of Gruyaert"s work looks handcoloured(I dont think it is)is he a convert from only shooting b&w? Neil.

smokysun

one of the most interesting things i've read recently was the description of edwin land's 'retinex theory' in galen rowell's last book. according to rowell,
land's experiments (he invented polaroid) proved we actually see in black and white, color interpolations made in our brain. this would mean shooting b&w means refusing to translate our vision into something else.

and as for cameras, wouldn't we then seek the camera (lens, sensor, film) that reproduces the world in the way we see it before our brain takes over?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I went looking for this thread and discovered it in the Small Sensor Cameras section. I hope you don't mind, but I think it's a fairly universal discussion and one I may especially need to pay attention to.

I mentioned in a previous post that I sometimes make a last ditch effort to save files by trying B&W. This is an example. Actually, it's a duotone. I just could not make the color version look "real". And while this is anything but real, it seems to work for me better than the color. What do you think?

S

Sean_Reid

A lot of interesting discussions end up in this particular forum. Speaking as one member, and as one who started the "Small Sensor" forum, I don't mind at all if the discussion sometimes moves away from small sensor cameras, per se, into other interesting topics that involve various kinds of cameras. Since small sensor cameras are not the technical superstars of the digital camera world, it seems that some of the people who use them often are thinking more about photography and less about equipment and ultimate technical performance.

One of the ideas behind this forum was that it would be cross brand, thus concentrating more on photography than on equipment, per se. By that same token, if an interesting discussion goes beyond this particular camera format, I think it should be free to roam and see where it goes.

TR, I think the picture looks good.

A couple of months ago I started working on an article about B&W photography. I need to finish that.

Cheers,

Sean

cam

I went looking for this thread and discovered it in the Small Sensor Cameras section. I hope you don't mind, but I think it's a fairly universal discussion and one I may especially need to pay attention to.

I mentioned in a previous post that I sometimes make a last ditch effort to save files by trying B&W. This is an example. Actually, it's a duotone. I just could not make the color version look "real". And while this is anything but real, it seems to work for me better than the color. What do you think?
you are absolutely more than welcome to join in as is anybody on GetDPI. the more, the merrier! i started it here because it was ignored in the thread i first asked (not to mention nasty undertones). we tend to be nicer here :p very likely for the reasons Sean stated...

i love your choice to duotone that image. it brings a dreamy wistful quality, yet very very sad. a love that you lost but still holds happy memories, smiling through the tears.

btw, Neil, Gruyaert is very much known for working in colour. just do a search.

Lili

Tim, I love that duotone image!

To the subject at hand again.
IMHO B&W is not something I try in PP, altho that is indeed a very valid approach and I don't mean any disrespect to any that do.
When I do convert in PP, it is because I *saw* the image that way to begin with.
When I shot with film, it was almost exclusively B&W.
When first I got a decent digital camera and the instant feedback, I started *seeing* far more in color.
It wasn't until I got the GRD that I started doing any real amount of monochrome, for the reasons I mention earlier in this thread.
Which by the way is a *capital idea*
Brava Cam!
And DPI is a very very nice place to chat on these subject.
Well done DPI Forums and Moderators and Memebers :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
...One of the ideas behind this forum was that it would be cross brand, thus concentrating more on photography than on equipment, per se. By that same token, if an interesting discussion goes beyond this particular camera format, I think it should be free to roam and see where it goes...

Cheers,

Sean
you are absolutely more than welcome to join in as is anybody on GetDPI. the more, the merrier! i started it here because it was ignored in the thread i first asked (not to mention nasty undertones). we tend to be nicer here :p very likely for the reasons Sean stated....
An online community like this one can be a fragile thing. I am continually surprised and delighted by the openness of the crew that hangs out here. It seems like a perfect place for someone like me that isn't trying to prove anything but rather, wants to learn, grow, and share the enthusiasm I feel for photography with others of a similar mind.

And I do learn a lot here. From all of the threads, even the ones that don't concern me directly. Thanks to all of you!

Tim

Brian Mosley

Amen to that Tim :)

That's a nice duotone, and I tend to have the same approach to B&W too... it's always in the back of my mind - will this shot work well in B&W?

Kind Regards

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
An online community like this one can be a fragile thing. I am continually surprised and delighted by the openness of the crew that hangs out here. It seems like a perfect place for someone like me that isn't trying to prove anything but rather, wants to learn, grow, and share the enthusiasm I feel for photography with others of a similar mind.

And I do learn a lot here. From all of the threads, even the ones that don't concern me directly. Thanks to all of you!

Tim
Tim the only thing you want to prove is the ability to get better within yourself. Sometimes you just have to keep pushing yourself out on the edge. After 35 years shooting I have gone through more burn outs than I care to talk about . Just have to find way's to reinvent yourself all the time. if something feels stale than try something else. Constantly experiment with different kinds of shooting. i guess as a considered generalist in my commercial field I always avoided specializing in one area because you get stale and don't learn. For the hobbyist I think real important you keep trying different things and when your bored than you know to try something else. Keep doing reality checks and keep expanding yourself. Growing in photography is a kick in the butt and a heck of a lot of fun. Frankly you have gotten better since the day you signed up, so your are already growing at a great pace. Hopefully this site and the folks in it inspire you more. Okay back to garage cleaning for me . Talk about boring. LOL

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Guy, your encouragement and your example are both terrific incentives to learn. Even though you have decades of experience as a pro, I still get a real sense of excitement and joy from you as you try new things yourself. You set a great example. Thanks for that, and thanks again for your kind words.

:thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Hopefully folks get a sense that is what they will get on this site is others helping. Just want this place to run as Jack and i created the site up to be what we want. It's not always easy but we try.

cam

For the hobbyist I think real important you keep trying different things and when your bored than you know to try something else. Keep doing reality checks and keep expanding yourself. Growing in photography is a kick in the butt and a heck of a lot of fun.
be careful of the word "hobbyist" or hackles like mine will be raised. i don't make money at it like you, but i take it very seriously indeed. when i experiment, i do it to expand, not because i'm bored or getting stale.... speaking of which, i expect to see one of your experiments on the experimental thread! ;)

and Guy, you and Jack have created a wonderful and nurturing place, thank you.

Guy Mancuso

I only use hobbyist because i always forget how to spell amateur. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: I'm not kidding either but I learned the right click and the right spelling words come up. Who would have known. LOL

Guy Mancuso

I will have some time this week to go play with a couple lenses coming in and yes you are right Cam it is not always about bored but it is about expanding too. No question, glad you brought that up , i fight the bored issue

Terry

Tim
Great post Tim and I share your sentiments. There is so much to learn. This has been the best place to learn. There is so much talent and experience on this forum. But more importantly the members here like to share and help each other grow. Like you I read posts from all over the site and learn new things in the places I would least expect to.

Guy Mancuso

Yes remember it's all about you folks. Jack and i just turned the lights on , you have to make it glow. LOL