The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Colour accuracy

helenhill

Hi BRIAN
Just some Visual Thoughts behind your Great Work.....
I thought in the 'TULIP ' series the Dp1 Shot Looked Fantastic
however only you would know which was the most dead on in HUE .re: the tulip
The bamboo Fence certainly did NOT fare well with the olympus but came to Life in definition with the DP1

As for the 'Countryside Scene' Series
the Oly looked 'Nice' /Beautiful but Ordinary
whereas the second shot /DP1 was Fantastic /that edge of surreal/hint of Drama
Thank You for keen Eye & taking the Time to Post these cameras
TRES FUN !!
Cheers ! :grin:Helen

Last edited:

Will

Thanks Helen but it was Brian who posted those particular ones. Mine were the Tube carriage, bluebells and rhododendron flowers.

helenhill

Thanks Helen but it was Brian who posted those particular ones. Mine were the Tube carriage, bluebells and rhododendron flowers.
THANKS WILL
for the Correction /changed the above name:eek:
Long Day and delirium has set in......
Best - H

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hi Helen, I think the Oly is generally more accurate with colours but the DP1 has more latitude for pushing around in PP - I find myself going for the drama with the DP1 more, whereas the Oly's are more subtle and naturally beautiful.

The fence was affected by the difference in apertures (sorry, these were snapshots)

Thank you for commenting :)

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

OK, I popped out again with the Olympus E-420, E-400 and DP1 just now... here's another set - the Olympus cameras just on Auto W/B, the DP1 on Sunlight (as recommended by experienced Sigma users)

Olympus E-400
1/800s f/4.0 at 12.0mm iso100

Olympus E-420
1/800s f/4.0 at 14.0mm iso100

Sigma DP1

The Sigma is great... provided you don't shoot it side by side with an Olympus for Colour ;)

Seriously, I have a way to go yet before I'm happy with my colour management for the Sigma DP1.

Kind Regards

Brian

Last edited:

cam

The Sigma is great... provided you don't shoot it side by side with an Olympus for Colour ;)

Seriously, I have a way to go yet before I'm happy with my colour management for the Sigma DP1.
Brian,

i often shoot in Sunlight and then tame down the yellow cast with CS3's AutoColor (which i then fade to the appropriate level -- by eye) or pull down/up the individual levels in Hue/Saturation and can damned near the "natural" look (not that i'm really ever after that ;) ). it's minor tweaking and i think you'd be happy with it.

speaking of which, when are you going to send the sun my way? i'm off to check out the R-D1S and it's pissing -- again!

jonoslack

Kind Regards

Brian

Hi Brian
That's the problem stepping away from Olympus - I'd stopped thinking about colour accuracy since the E1. Nothing else is the same.
I've stopped using AWB with the D3 when outdoors - it does wierd things which seem very difficult to correct, and it's always too warm anyway. Much easier to shoot in Daylight - at least they're all wrong the same way then!
At least we have good enough tools to put it right these days.
I think the DP1 looks fascinating, but I won't touch anything which doesn't work in Aperture. Mind you, can you convert the files to .dng in the Adobe converter?

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

the DP1 is definitely worth adding to your arsenal in due course - when 3rd party RAW support arrives (nope, no .dng conversion available) and the price drops below £350 ;)

In the meantime, I'm happy to be the crash test dummy for you, this time :)

By the way, I *very* nearly bought a D3 + 14-24mm f2.8 a couple of days ago (saw the dpreview 30% discount tip) - but pulled back from the brink, when I considered the long term view... it would be just as much of a niche camera as the DP1 for me.

There's just nothing to compete with 4/3rds for the long term serious photographer imho... when you consider the time & expense of collecting the right glass - the sensors will catch up with FF performance (but with dust protection that works!)

I didn't really feel like lugging something the size of a car battery around again either!:ROTFL:

On the bright side, I felt great - saved myself a £3000 expense ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

the DP1 is definitely worth adding to your arsenal in due course - when 3rd party RAW support arrives (nope, no .dng conversion available) and the price drops below £350 ;)

In the meantime, I'm happy to be the crash test dummy for you, this time :)
Well - I've 'standardised' on Aperture now - having spent the last two years fiddling about. Which means no Aperture, no Camera as far as I'm concerned. Actually, I don't mind as long as the RAW files can be converted to DNG as Aperture now does a grand job with standard dng files.

By the way, I *very* nearly bought a D3 + 14-24mm f2.8 a couple of days ago (saw the dpreview 30% discount tip) - but pulled back from the brink, when I considered the long term view... it would be just as much of a niche camera as the DP1 for me.
I'm still smarting a little from that offer - did anyone actually get one from them? (that price was far below cost). It would have been worth my while driving there - but I'd already shelled out.

What tipped me over the edge was the D3x prospect and those two new lenses - the lenses really are very good. I have some wedding stuff to do this summer, and the low light capabilities will do that well. Assuming there is a D3x in the autumn (or even better, a D10 with the same sensor as the D3x in a case the size of the D300); then I'll sell the D3 and get that.

I was going to get a Mamiya AF with a ZD back (like Guy), but I realised that although I'd like MF resolution, it just wouldn't suit my style of shooting.

There's just nothing to compete with 4/3rds for the long term serious photographer imho... when you consider the time & expense of collecting the right glass - the sensors will catch up with FF performance (but with dust protection that works!)
Well, if Olympus can make 4/3 sensors work like FF, then I'd guess that Nikon will be able to make dust protection that works :p

Still, I take your point and don't disagree (My Olympus stuff isn't going anywhere).

I didn't really feel like lugging something the size of a car battery around again either!:ROTFL:
Actually, I don't mind that so much - what I DO mind is how people respond when you point a car battery at them - we had a dinner party the other night, and as usual I was allowed the camera for 1 minute and 15 seconds. I grabbed the D3 first, and everyone basically hid under the table . . . took the M8 and everyone relaxed and forgot about me.

On the bright side, I felt great - saved myself a £3000 expense ;)
Now you can afford an M8 :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Brian Mosley

Now you can afford an M8 :ROTFL::ROTFL:
Hmmm... I'm not sure that I could get used to the rangefinder - I do like TTL OVF, and AF being available - even if I don't always use them!

Has your E-420 arrived yet Jono? I'm keen to see some shots from the funkmaster(tm) ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Will

Does anyone know if there is an advantage to upgrading Sigma Photo pro to 3.2 on a Mac, or are there still problems with it?

Brian Mosley

Brian,

i often shoot in Sunlight and then tame down the yellow cast with CS3's AutoColor (which i then fade to the appropriate level -- by eye) or pull down/up the individual levels in Hue/Saturation and can damned near the "natural" look (not that i'm really ever after that ;) ). it's minor tweaking and i think you'd be happy with it.
Cam, while you're waiting for the sun, would you mind if I sent you the X3F file... having a go at bringing these reds under control? I'd love to see what you can do?

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

two quick notes before i dash off (the rain has let up a bit): first, it seems you shot this Shade rather than Sunlight (at least the file i got). secondly, a quick change to Auto WB (yes, using it after) (on Auto setting for base) without doing much else brings it damned close to the Oly colours. (sending this FYI for you try in case i'm longer than expected).

ta.

Brian Mosley

Hi cam,

I took the shot in Sunlight white balance... the file I sent you had been set to shade as I wrestled to get something like the red tulips which came straight out of Auto white balance on the Oly cams.

Please post some red tulips from the DP1, and the settings you used! I'm eager to get to the bottom of this!

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

in my brief play with the file, this was my conclusion.

it leaned toward cyan at the expense of the reds.
it leaned toward magenta at the expense of the greens.
and it slightly leaned toward blue at the expense of the yellows

there was a bit of this in everything, to a varying degree -- shadows, midtones, and highlights.. this can NOT be fixed in SPP. it needs Photoshop or the like for more advanced colour balance capabilities than what SPP can give you.

that's not to say that i couldn't make a perfectly lovely image out of what you gave me. but if the Oly was spot on and you're after what you saw, it will take more than a little bit of grunt work.

i will try again tomorrow to get it close (i had an emotional day today). i am speaking as an anal graphic designer here, not as a photographer, in the above comments. in many ways, i preferred what i was getting from the file vs. you Oly example. but that's a personal preference, not what the client wanted ;)