The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

two very different b/w DP1 looks

Joan

Oooh ... wow, I like this version, too! It works both ways for me. It's all a matter of what mood you're going for, but how wonderful that you can do both!

I need to learn this stuff. Long road ahead of me, but I'm going to keep trying!

W

wbrandsma

Wow Cam, the photograph of the lovers is absolutely stunning for me. The soft look is a bit too soft for me. A possible title proposal: "DP1 their love"

cam

Hmmm. I kind of liked the idea that the couple weren't afraid to be affectionate under the harsh subway lights. The softness also obscures the reflection in the door. I think I prefer the shot without the blur. Or maybe mask it and un-blur around the faces and hands. (really like the hands in this shot!).

But either way, thanks for posting a picture and allowing us to play back seat driver.
:salute: it's fun to play around! especially when an image is *almost* there, but not quite.... the feedback is great as well!

Cam, I tend to like the sharper images from the DP1, but in this case, I think the smoky and dreamy version is the better one. You're inspiring me to go for blacker blacks with my DP1. You're really onto something here.
total opposite opinion, LOL! i love this forum :p

and, oh yeah! i these blacks are silky! and you can still have so much detail in the shadows if you use a little more restraint than i did :ROTFL:

as a total 360, all the voyeurs seem to be complaining about the colour on the DP1. a few points.

there is only SPP to play with RAW files for now so if you mess up your WB, it's a wee bit tetchy. but i truly think this camera is pretty damned spot on when you take an outdoors picture. i think a lot of people might bump it up because the colours are just so damned gorgeous from this sensor (yes, i'm a fan!). whereas you can get a very natural look (okay, maybe not as good as the Oly's, etc.), everybody's sensibility is different.

indoor colours a different story altogether. in one word -- blech! the DP1 is very old-fashioned, it needs sun for it's lighting, really hates the artificial stuff. you can get it, but it's a lot of work if you want anything "natural."

here is a very dull pic. i was practicing my manual focusing (the bike) :eek: it had just stopped raining and the day was very overcast. with that in mind, all i did here was to desaturate the green a bit to look like what i saw. the green was that vibrant, and the other colours really quite good, including that horrid white cast in the sky. the vividness is what you get in this light in person -- the DP1 captured it quite nicely, IMO.

i will try to get a more interesting shot for you tomorrow, but truly, the colours aren't bad! still, i do love my black and whites :p

Joan

:salute: ...

as a total 360, all the voyeurs seem to be complaining about the colour on the DP1. a few points.

there is only SPP to play with RAW files for now so if you mess up your WB, it's a wee bit tetchy. but i truly think this camera is pretty damned spot on when you take an outdoors picture. i think a lot of people might bump it up because the colours are just so damned gorgeous from this sensor (yes, i'm a fan!). whereas you can get a very natural look (okay, maybe not as good as the Oly's, etc.), everybody's sensibility is different.

indoor colours a different story altogether. in one word -- blech! the DP1 is very old-fashioned, it needs sun for it's lighting, really hates the artificial stuff. you can get it, but it's a lot of work if you want anything "natural."

here is a very dull pic. i was practicing my manual focusing (the bike) :eek: it had just stopped raining and the day was very overcast. with that in mind, all i did here was to desaturate the green a bit to look like what i saw. the green was that vibrant, and the other colours really quite good, including that horrid white cast in the sky. the vividness is what you get in this light in person -- the DP1 captured it quite nicely, IMO.

i will try to get a more interesting shot for you tomorrow, but truly, the colours aren't bad! still, i do love my black and whites :p
Agree that the colors here look "right," Cam. I'm one of the voyeurs who has had a lot of reservations about the DP1 colors :eek: :eek:. I've seen a lot of sickly greens, cyan skies, magenta overtones, etc. floating around on the various forums. Obviously it can do just fine - you have managed nicely, as have Brian and others. Do you use auto WB, or change for each lighting condition?

cam

Wow Cam, the photograph of the lovers is absolutely stunning for me. The soft look is a bit too soft for me. A possible title proposal: "DP1 their love"
LOL! you're worse than my boyfriend with the puns (groan). no, it's the still life i'm still pondering a title for. pleased you like my couple! i need to start over again with all the input... i'm a little burnt out for more today.

Agree that the colors here look "right," Cam. I'm one of the voyeurs who has had a lot of reservations about the DP1 colors :eek: :eek:. I've seen a lot of sickly greens, cyan skies, magenta overtones, etc. floating around on the various forums. Obviously it can do just fine - you have managed nicely, as have Brian and others. Do you use auto WB, or change for each lighting condition?
i really haven't had many of those problems. remember, i do shoot RAW so i get to see them before i do my b/w thang. i heard Auto had that green corner problem so i stopped using it. i think i set it to Sunlight (not that i've seen much of it) and then change it when i convert the RAW. sunlight tends to give everyone hepatitis when you're not shooting in the sun, but it seems to give me a proper balance to change later. if changing the WB on the DP! was easier, i'd probably change it as the situation occurs. as i shoot RAW, WB is the least of my problems!

i understand what those like you are complaining about, but i really think it's the way people PP or their lack of PPing skills or improper monitor calibrations that's causing this to occur. the DP1 colours are actually tempting me to *use* them, and i'm pretty much a straight b/w type of gal.

Terry

Cam of the three versions of the metro shot I like the second one the best. I like the B&W tones and it is a bit more crisp than the silk stocking version.

terry

Lili

enough? too much??? (i'm always being blasted on the home front here that my images are "too much") i didn't get smokey, but i did get the bite i like :D feel free to put your version up. i love to learn!
I like this version best :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cam,
Lovely shot of the lovers in the Metro.
I think I prefer the second version.
Somehow this camera (or the artist, I don't know which) does B&W very nicely.
I do miss grain, but that is only a holdover from my Tri-X days.
-bob

S

SimonLarbalestier

Cam #2 (the restaurant) is very rich - i like the deep blacks in this shot.