The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Distortion correction of Canon S90

s.agar

Here are 3 photos.

1. RAW processed with C1 V5.1, which does not correct the distortion based on the available EXIF data. Therefore this is the actual RAW photo. This type of distortion takes a long time to correct in PS,

2. JPG from in-camera conversion. Note that most of the unique distortion is corrected in the camera. But as expected the sides are cropped. (much more than I had assumed).

3. Finally, the same photo converted with DPP, with additional distortion correction. Now it looks fine. (colors are different, I didn't correct these differences).

This is done as expected mostly on the WA side. I had noticed and reported some unique distortions in my street photos in the past, because I was working wiyh C1, which is my usual converter.

Seyhun

Here are the photos:

s.agar

Although theoretically there must be a loss in the resolution, I haven't noticed much in "actual pixel" views. But of course there are other differences in the photos coming from the use of 2 different JPG conversions. Resolution loss is not the first thing to notice.

File sizes however are different in the corrected in-camera JPG photos! (Loss of areas from all 4 sides are seen in my original post)

BTW, I'm personally not opposed to this correction idea of Canon, since even the Hasselblad and Phase one MF cameras use that same principle of correcting the distortion, CA and vignetting during RAW conversions. This is a fact of the digital age. M4/3 of Panasonic is fully based on this principle too.

Anyway, you may decide for yourselves regarding the resolution loss:

1. First photo is the crop from camera JPG.
2. Second photo is the crop from JPG converted with C1, which has no distortion corrections.

Seyhun