The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Night Sky

Don Ellis

This was taken yesterday on the flight back from our Penang holiday. Really, who can resist shooting from a plane window... certainly not me. :)

DP2 with no saturation boost.

pollobarca

Ahhh someone still flying.... I am still in Bruxelles due to volcano. Tomorrow I have found a train to Zurich then I will use local trains to cross switzerland to Milano.

A beautiful picture Don, and a clean window too. Those clouds are fantastic, the wing too.
all the best

paul

MisiekBunnik

wow! I know that the dp1/2 are well in 'doing' clouds. But from below and up. But this from above is simply amazing, clarity and depth due to the wing makes this picture very enjoyable to view

Last edited:

Don Ellis

wow! I know that the dp1/2 are well in 'doing' clouds. But from below and up. But this from above is simply amazing, clarity and depth due to the wing makes this picture very enjoyable to view
Lovely to hear from you... thank you. The wing does add to the photo... for once. :)

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

Ahhh someone still flying.... I am still in Bruxelles due to volcano. Tomorrow I have found a train to Zurich then I will use local trains to cross switzerland to Milano.

A beautiful picture Don, and a clean window too. Those clouds are fantastic, the wing too.
all the best

paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry you're not in the air. We saw some European-looking folks in Kuala Lumpur International Airport who looked like they weren't going anywhere.

We were supposed to fly straight back from Penang to Hong Kong, but the flight was overbooked, so we ended up waiting five hours to fly to Kuala Lumpur and then seven hours for a flight to Hong Kong. I was able to meditate over it by reminding myself how many people weren't going anywhere for days. :)

Hope you finally made it... or are at least on your way. Sometimes any movement is better than no movement. Reminds you you're alive, anyway.

Cheers,
Don

A

Aareen

If you watch the sky around 6:30 A.M. local time every morning, you can still notice Venus low above the southeast horizon. You might want to check your horizon in advance, to make sure that there are no tall trees or buildings that might obstruct your view of the planet. At magnitude -4, Venus will be the brightest star-like object in the sky, and will appear to be "gibbous phase" in even the smallest telescopes.

pollobarca

Don,
thanks for the sympathy, I finally caught a train to Zurich, then to Milan and got home at 23:00 last night. Sounds simple but it wasnt, even the train toilets clogged , not with ash though. Too many passengers and too much late running and they cant service super
computerised toilets, so the computer shuts them down , must be made by Olympus.... Met people who had given up hope of a flight, one lady was heading in the direction of Melbourne, by train as far as possible then hope for a plane to somewhere on line. My brother is in Melbourne and cannot get out until 1st May. His flight was last saturday.
Anyway here is Bruges on saturday see all the volcanic ash!

Don Ellis

Don,
thanks for the sympathy, I finally caught a train to Zurich, then to Milan and got home at 23:00 last night. Sounds simple but it wasnt, even the train toilets clogged , not with ash though. Too many passengers and too much late running and they cant service super
computerised toilets, so the computer shuts them down , must be made by Olympus.... Met people who had given up hope of a flight, one lady was heading in the direction of Melbourne, by train as far as possible then hope for a plane to somewhere on line. My brother is in Melbourne and cannot get out until 1st May. His flight was last saturday.
Anyway here is Bruges on saturday see all the volcanic ash!
Glad you finally made it home. You're lucky... even though the planes are flying again, it's my experience that airlines cut back on their number of flights during the global recession because they wanted to fly at full capacity -- so I have a feeling that it's going to take quite a while to clear the backlog of people whose flights were canceled.

I also heard something on the news yesterday saying that airlines were going to give priority to passengers with "confirmed tickets" -- meaning people who had tickets for flights that hadn't yet taken off. Which means that they will take precedence over people whose flights were canceled. No comment about the fast that those people had confirmed tickets once upon a time.

Interesting side note on the toilets -- nothing like turning too much control over to the machines. :)

Nice photo, too.

Cheers,
Don

Last edited:

busch63

Oh yes, Flights. Meanwhile the ban of flight is stopped. All flights come to normal. But there are still massive delayed and postponed transportations.....

Therefore I got another "Night Sky" or better "Early Morning Sky" on the flight to London, Heathrow thru ash free clouds. Ricoh GX200, f2,5, 1/10s, ISO154

Last edited: