The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

experimental pictures

E

espressogeek

I shot this yesterday when a friend that I work with, and will be traveling out west with in May, happened upon a bluff near our homes that we did not know about. I purchased the GR-D, the camera used for this, with the intention of having a carry around camera that would do IR reasonably well. This is show in raw, with the use of a R72 filter, and the white point adjusted for foliage. I would love to know how to take stuff like this to the next level in LAB mode.

I had Weldon hold very still for this. I can't wait to try our IR at some of the iconic photo locations out west. I had been less than inspired by this little camera until I did this shot. I think I will be keeping it for IR now. BTW does anyone know if the 40mm TC for this camera produces a hotspot?

Last edited:
C

Caer

Here's one I tried as part of my 365 project:

Done in a dark room, with a 30-second exposure, 3 flashes to provide the light for me, and a keyring LED torch pointed at the camera once the flashes had popped, to provide the "ball of light".

Took me about 12 goes to get it right :D

V

Vincent

Congrats Cam, good idea this thread.

And now a selfportrait...

Kind regards,

Vincent.

Terry

All taken with the Panasonic TZ3 great little small sensor camera. Makes you work to get the images because there are no manual controls and instead of being pure point and shoot you need to think about how to get the camera to do what you want through +/- EV and using those dreaded scene modes.

For a while last summer I got on a kick where I was trying to take pictures through glasses of water (or other relatively clear liquids like beer) to see if I could preserve the scenery or action on the other side.....

View attachment 3484

From the same time period I also went and did a series of reflections. The same building two ways....

View attachment 3486

View attachment 3485

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Helen having trouble with posting images. Let us know and we can guide you. Let me know if you want me to clean the deletes up for you also.

M

micampe

Well, not as extreme as other pictures in this thread... Here are a couple of my experiments with light: backlighting, reflection.

In the first one I ran to include my friends coming up walking in the mirror, it didn't actually work because I'm too short :D but I like the result anyway.

Last edited:

ShiroKuro

Thanks TEB.... I was going back and looking at all my old digital images taken with the C8080..... first camera so everything was an experiment ..lol ...

Shadows and reflection off a white table ....

4season

I was toying with my new Canon SD1000 when I noticed this great cloudscape outside of my office window. I was annoyed to find that the Canon wouldn't focus on the venetian blinds, so I grabbed another camera, manually focused on the blinds--then decided afterwards that the original blurry version worked best! Every so often in Colorado, we get an amazing orange/crimson sunset, and this was one of those evenings.

4season

8:39AM in late January, I'm riding the bus in to the office when the bus makes a right turn, and for a few seconds I see this:

M

micampe

A couple more, these are really experiments… so much so that I don't even know what popped into my mind at that time… they are pictures of my TV screen (traditional, color-faded, CRT screen).

Can you name the movie? :)

DavidE

North by Northwest (1959)

The most famous part of the movie is the stark sequence in which Cary Grant is chased by a crop duster. In a 1962 interview with Françoise Truffaut, Hitchcock explained how he got the idea,

"I found I was faced with the old cliché situation: the man who is put on the spot, probably to be shot. Now, how is this usually done? A dark night at a narrow intersection of the city. The waiting victim standing in a pool of light under the street lamp. The cobbles are ‘washed with the recent rains.’ A close-up of a black cat slinking along against the wall of a house. A shot of a window, with a furtive face pulling back the curtain to look out. The slow approach of a black limousine, et cetera, et cetera. Now, what was the antithesis of a scene like this? No darkness, no pool of light, no mysterious figures in windows. Just nothing. Just bright sunshine and a blank, open countryside with barely a house or tree in which any lurking menaces could hide."

Here's another experimental shot that includes a TV image (and an airplane).

Last edited: