The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

experimental pictures

helenhill

Tim / Wild & Snake like ..... Cool Composition......Beautiful tonalities!!

Cam / You're shot ROCKS !!
Reminds me of 'Spirit' Photography - quite popular during the Victorian Era

I actually love the way these two shots follow each other /manly Man & girlie Girl
Best, Helen

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Helen! And Mitchell, really nice!

This is the last one of these, I promise! Down by the old cannery on the coast.

Mitchell

Thanks Tim.

As you probably guessed, in LightRoom I added lots of saturation and/or vibrance (I can't remember what exactly) to this image. This only seems to work with a very small number of my water pictures, and nothing else.

For a long time, I wanted my pictures (generaly small areas of the landscape) to look like what I'd seen in reality, as if I were saying to the viewer, "I saw it. It's out there. You can see the same thing if you look." Now I don't seem to care as much about that documentary aspect. (My subjects are almost never people.)

I seem to look at paintings more than photographs, and paintings almost alway seem to use reality as a inspiration, a stepping off point, not an end in itself.

Tim, I like your shots here. I'm guessing you added some vignetting and saturation on the rope shot. And aggressive sharpening and grain to the cannery.

I used to hate PP, but now that the tools are getting so much easier, and I'm learning my way a bit, it's getting more fun and really powerful.

Sorry to be so long winded. Great idea for a thread Cam. Lots of good stuff in here.

Best,

Mitchell

B

Bob Yanal

I'm not sure if these count as "experimental" or "happy accidents" or none of the above; but they're kind of interesting. (Taken at the Toronto Museum of Natural History with a Ricoh GX100.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim, I'm generally not a huge fan of the grunge look, but it sure works for that tire and rope shot -- very nice image!

:thumbs:,

M

micampe

Tim I really like that truck/machine thing (sorry I don't know the word) and the processing you have done. Looks almost like some grainy BW film.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack and Michelle! It's kind of fun to experiment and try to duplicate looks that float around the web. The grunge thing is fun but a little goes a long way. Stuff that's already grungy seemed like a good place to try it ;).

Cheers!
Tim

sizifo

Ghosts on the London Underground. I took this one today. Maybe typical, but still looks pretty cool.

Irenaeus

Great thread!

This one's from a GRD, straight from camera, no PP, unfortunate blurring/DOF/etc but I like it and want to do more in this vein and better. Bedtime now, though.

Irenaeus