The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

This morning's street shot

D

D upton-Hackett.

Terrific shot Don. didn't the sweeper want his photo taken?, that makes this shot one of my favourites.

Was there much pp involved.

Don Ellis

Terrific shot Don. didn't the sweeper want his photo taken?, that makes this shot one of my favourites.
I never take photos of people who make it apparent they don't want to be photographed. I really don't think she saw me. I saw the poster in the window, then the towel around the woman's head, and then the small leaves on the ground. She had already swept a lot of them towards the circle you see, so I just had to wait until she came back into frame and the morning commuters cleared for an instant -- and it was only an instant.

It's possible she was wearing the towel to protect her head from the sun (the sun that didn't exist right then, so it may be a habit; virtually all street sweepers wear some sort of headgear), or to mop her brow (double-duty towel)... and maybe even for a little privacy.

Was there much pp involved.
Just the usual... make sure it looks all right in SPP4, then bring it in to Photoshop to Auto-Contrast (very little difference made), very slight Curves, a little Highlight recovery to add a small amount of detail to the poster, and a frame. I tried lightening the Shadows (3%) so the sweeper stood out a little more but decided I didn't like the effect -- so I left her in the shadows, as she is in the lives of so many passersby.

Thanks,
Don

kevinparis

nicely observed - though if it was my shot i would crop the top and left hand sides to remove some distracting elements

K