The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If i may bore you....

• Thread starter D upton-Hackett.
  • Start date
D

D upton-Hackett.

Another student garden art. made colours vivid in pp.
would anyone do it differently.

Last edited:

Tim

I dunno if I would have done it different Derek, I'd have to be there and walk around it a bit. I often find frame #3 nails a subject more than #1 or 2 but not always.

I like it in general - it has potential, its rather amusing and quite colourful, which I suspect what drew you to the object? Was this your first and only go? The background is not too distracting but the symetrical layout of the sign could be a bit boring perhaps.

D

D upton-Hackett.

Tim.
See what you mean unfortunately could not walk around it, only took one shot a mistake. still have the original Raw and very slightly adjusted Jpg.
It is a shame we cant upload raw images for guidance and comment.

symmetrical layout of the sign could be a bit boring that i can see in hindsight.

Tim

symmetrical layout of the sign could be a bit boring that i can see in hindsight.
But maybe not too - the photographic rules are meant to be broken - least thats what I've been told. :lecture:

I like the image, its got a certain charm, amusing and colourful, and to a non resident its an insight to your walks.

Will

My dilemma when taking pictures of someone else's art is always whether my aim is to illustrate the art work or to use it to create my own photographic art work. I think with this image you have the option to process it to show as faithful an illustration as you can of the subject or to take it to extremes of cropping and post processing to create your own piece.
Maybe this version is in-between the two?

I still like it though.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Strictly from a processing perspective, I think I might have tried to make a selection of just the sign and apply the extra saturation to it, leaving the rest of the image more natural. I find the "cooked" colors of the surroundings to be less pleasing than the extra emphasis the saturation puts on the sign. Just my two cents.

D

D upton-Hackett.

thanks guys.

like the different thoughts you kindly pass on that makes me look at doing things another way.
I have the original Jpg witch looks a little washed out as the signs themselves were a little pale (as in old) so just made them vivid purely as an experiment. Sorry the background is so poor.

Lars

I would have liked a long lens with wide aperture, to blur the background and really isolate the subject.