The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Band Shots

Lili

Have got to be one of the most rewarding and frustrating things I have ever done.
I *try* to be nice and use long, fast glass to get available light shots, maintaining the atmosphere of the concert.
Sadly there are no super fast zooms that I can afford, and just carrying a truckload of lenses and DSLR amidst an excited crowd is no fun, not to mention trying to change them!
Then there are the well meaning types blasting away with their flashes ruining my night vision.
I mention all this because last night I attended a concert at the Loft here in Dallas.
My ribs are sore, my toes bruised, I've had little to no sleep.
But I did get some good shots which I will post on this site tonight, given the chance (and if I can stay awake once I get home).
I put this thread in the small sensor forum because I watched, with some envy, a very petite brunette with an unidentified 'superzoom' bridgecam, blazing away with her flash, using the live preview LCD ala' Mitch Alland's style and obviously having a blast.
My Fuji, by virute of its Super HR CCD sensor and its 'intellgent flash' does very well in mixing flash and ambient light.
Being a small sensor camera, it has an enormous zoom range and having an EVF/LCD it does live preview VERY well.
Plus it is light and very manueverable.
I may give it a whirl next concert at this venue.

Last edited:

helenhill

Just went to flickr
and the one you just Posted (red guitar/red beard) is my Fav
Ta..... :clap:H

cam

i love the feel and the texture of your b/w. it's dreamy but intense. definitely my favourite!

Lili

Will, Cam, Thomas, Helen,
Thanks so much guys!!!!!
I shot all but one of these with the K100D and 50/1.4, this is is the only one with the GRD.

helenhill

The latest color shot IS QUITE FAB
youthful - hip - and right on the mark ....the GRD
love it !!!!!
to me best of the lot:clap:
Toodles, H

Lili

The latest color shot IS QUITE FAB
youthful - hip - and right on the mark ....the GRD
love it !!!!!
to me best of the lot:clap:
Toodles, H
Helen, Thanks so much :)
I took 3 shots with the GRD, that was one of them and the only where the light was just right.
If that was the only shot that came out of the lot, I would be very pleased.
As I said at the start of this thread, in a venue with a standing, dancing and widly excited crowd use of live-preview lCD in a fast camera (the GRD series in a nutshell) is pretty much the only way to go is one is not an NFL linebacker in build.
I only mentioned my Fuji S6000 in this context due to its very good flash and zoom lens (the last for those times one simply cannot get close).
Next time at this place I am taking the Ricoh and the Fuji.
I suspect they will compliment one another nicely (if only the Fuji had the samewonderful User Interface)!

PS- Small Sensors Rule!!! W0000t!!!!
Ahem
Sorry, still channeling the energy from the show ;)

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Lili
I'm going to try this with my GRD II tomorrow night. Going to Schubas tavern in Chicago to see Tina Dico...got any camera set up tips?

Lili

Lili
I'm going to try this with my GRD II tomorrow night. Going to Schubas tavern in Chicago to see Tina Dico...got any camera set up tips?
If you can get close, snap focus, otherwise rely on the AF, prefocus on something bright and the same distance as your subject.
Whether you use color or not, metering is important, I used Spot Metering here what with all the dark areas around the stage.
Finally, the LCD, even though it does not swivel/pivot will still alow you to do overhead shots as in Movements in Blue.
A GRD II with its scale focus would simply rock here

D

Daz Tazer

hey, mind if i jump in.
not been on here for a few weeks.

i was out at the weekend watching some gigs and i had my GRD on me so decided to whip it out for some photos. i never thougt i'd get anything good with the lens being so wide angle. i'd only ever used 50mm and upwards taking photos at gigs, but i was very suprised at what i got. i was stood right at the front though.

also the B&W jpegs from the camera are great even at 1600. i feel so anyway.
they work very well with the strong contrasting lighting you get at most gigs.

reminds me of xp2 which i used to use at 400iso and push to 1600 when taking gig photos.

here's a few from last friday night.
the band are called Chrome Hoof. some more in the set linked below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daz_taylor/sets/72157604860087586/

Lili

Daz Taser,
Nice work, I really think your shots show that the GRD really can shine in this type of shooting.
My best band shots, IMHO, were using the 28mm efl lens up close and personal.
I am off to Wichita Fallas this weekend, taking the GRD and my S6000fd, gonna work up close using the LCD on both, GRD for avail light and the Fuji for slow synch flash (it has much better flash performance).

D

Daz Tazer

hey Lili. thanks for looking and the nice comment.
i really like the 28mm in this situation. which i'm pleasently suprised with, as it was not something i thought it would get used for.

i liked your shot of British Sea Power in the other thread, i meant to say. can't find the thread now though.

i've got some shots of another band i took at the weekend. i'm having trouble getting them on flickr at the moment. i'll post one or two when i manage it.

look forward to see the witchita shots.

Lili

Daz,
Thank you!
here is a link to my BSP set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette_noir/sets/72157604936757909/
Of course these were shot with the GT-1 40mm efl, since I could not get quite as close for this gig as I would have liked.
Also, I was still getting used to this type of stuff too, since then I have slowly moved away form my 'sniper' style with long fast lenses and gotten bolder and closer.
This weekend ought to be interesting, it is a Queen cover band.