The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Old Digilux 2

retow

Why don't they build cameras like the Digilux 2 anymore. UPS delivered a new- used D2 at 6pm yesterday. What a lens, and what a (small!) sensor at low iso. And a user interface which puts all new cameras at a shame.
View attachment 32080

Last edited:

smokysun

congrats on your new acquisition. only three cameras so far have really thrilled me. this one, the sony 717, and the dp's. convinced you take the best pictures with the camera you most enjoy using. all the other stuff - speed, iso, etc. - pretty much irrelevant. years of fun to you.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

D

D upton-Hackett.

Yup. will second that had mine around 4 months and it's a wonderful learning curve for me. "Loving it."

retow

Colors, detail, sharpness are amazing. Who needs mft?
The first two are out of camera jpegs.

Last edited:

jminor

Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy this camera. I'm trying to get one as well and have a WTT ad in the classifieds. The big, bright wonderful lens, and analog controls are whats drawing me to this camera... and it sounds like they are built to last..... Have fun and please keep sharing the photos you take with it.....
John

D

D upton-Hackett.

Does anyone use the internal settings for contrast sharpness etc for the Leica.Just interested for the sake of it (being nosy). to enhance images or leave it to PP.

retow

In the above shots in camera settings for sharpness and contrast were on high, just changed it to std since I prefer to adjust it in pp. Still learning the D2, what a joy to use.

retow

Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy this camera. I'm trying to get one as well and have a WTT ad in the classifieds. The big, bright wonderful lens, and analog controls are whats drawing me to this camera... and it sounds like they are built to last..... Have fun and please keep sharing the photos you take with it.....
John
My EP2 is in danger to be sold. The D2 shows how mft bodies and LENSES (!) should have been designed and build. ;)

A

AMW-Chef

Perhaps one day they will

make another digicam like this, hard to say.

I just got a new in the box LC1 for less than I paid for my first LC1. Hopefully they will both last me a lifetime, I know I'll be happy with them.

Congrats on getting your D2. Good to see there are others still acquiring them and loving it.

C

retow

Just completed a trade, my E-P2 for a Digilux 2. Will arrive Saturday. Life is good.....
John
Congratulations, I hope you will share your first impressions. As sweet as the EP2 is, shooting with the Digilux 2 provides a different overall experience, a more satisfying one as far as I'm concerned. It's not all about pixel peeping.

jminor

Here are a couple shots from my first time out with the D2.

Both full auto as it was starting to rain and I didn't want to get the camera soaked on my first time out...
I said this on AMW-Chef's site and it bears repeating here:
Regarding the cameras controls and layout, PURE GENIUS.

Last edited:

MisiekBunnik

I am very tempted to buy one... But I have the dp1 & dp2! Is it the handling/holding the camera that is so nice? The files that is see, are they comparable to eachother (dp2-D2).

For sigma users: what do you use more often in the end, the leica or the sigma?
(I'll be honest, I would love to have a Leica, I would love a camera that can be operated by turning rings, but would I regret it comparing output against my dp2?)

jminor

I would imagine the D2 doesn't have the same dynamic range, or captures the same amount of detail the larger sensor in in the DP1/2 is capable of. What I've seen so far with the D2, I'm more than happy with, and can only expect that to grow as I learn how to use this camera to it's full capability. The 2/3" sensor and that big, bright, beautiful Summicron lens is perfectly combined to render wonderful photographs. Handling the D2 is pure joy. Lens rings allow you to set aperture, focus, and zoom, with analog controls on the top deck for shutter speed and metering. The few settings that are menu driven are easily accessible and simple to adjust. I was able to find and adjust 95% of the settings without cracking open the manual. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The design and operation of this camera is pure genius. I can see myself owning 3 or 4 of these (and or it's brother the Panasonic LC1) within a year.
John