The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

V-Lux 20 . . . some pictures

jonoslack

Hi there
It was a moment's decision . . . I had some credit with RW, and on a whim I ordered a V-Lux20 . . . . it arrived at 8 this morning, and the weather was good (unheard of with a new camera).

I'll probably put some thoughts on my website later (more serious than that the case is lovely).

Here are a few shots (whatever else, this camera is good fun!)

this one was 400 ISO

jonoslack

Jono, these are wonderful! Never seen so many good images from this camera!
HI Osman

Thank you - we had a fun afternoon, and the camera seemed to work okay, the depth of field is quite a larf compared to the 35 'lux on an M9!:ROTFL:

jonoslack

HI Jorgen - yes, it's really small, especially considering the big zoom.
Don - thanks for the kind words.
I'm still playing - I think it's a fun piece of kit, and printing shows great results at A4 (haven't tried anything bigger yet).

Hardly an M9, but fun anyway.

Terry

Enjoy it. I bought its step-sister the ZS7 but in a moment of OMG I have way too many cameras, I sold it. They are very good travel companions.

jonoslack

V-lux 20

Enjoy it. I bought its step-sister the ZS7 but in a moment of OMG I have way too many cameras, I sold it. They are very good travel companions.
It's certainly great fun - and it's pretty responsive as well, and the manual exposure setup is simple and good too.

I'm not sure how quickly I'll get fed up with the IQ, I'll try some A3 sized prints and see, if those are okay, I might find I'll use it where I would otherwise use the Pen.

wjlapier

I have the ZS7 and after a month or so of use I've decided it's a keeper. Looking at images and video on a Panasonic 42" plasma HDTV, I'm blown away at the quality of the images. Video is awesome.

vicfei

Jono -

Nice work with the V-Lux 20 - on the color shots, what were your settings for saturation, contrast, etc? Certainly, the tweaking that Leica performed on the Panasonic version looks very Leica-like, at least in terms of the tones of the colors.

Thanks,

Vic

jonoslack

Jono -

Nice work with the V-Lux 20 - on the color shots, what were your settings for saturation, contrast, etc? Certainly, the tweaking that Leica performed on the Panasonic version looks very Leica-like, at least in terms of the tones of the colors.

Thanks,

Vic
HI Vic . . . these were from the first day, I didn't do any tweaking except to switch the noise reduction to -1. No obvious reason to change anything as the results seem pretty good anyway.
I shall do more later.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I have been trying to use the V-Lux 20 and not very happy at this point. It may be my own fault, but...

I notice even sharp images (imported into LR3) when I zoom in on the image, it becomes very mottled/blurry. I think I am using the highest resolution. If I zoom in with the camera on the subject, they appear quite sharp. But, if I want to crop an image in LR...not good!!

Any thoughts?

Paul Hart

I have been trying to use the V-Lux 20 and not very happy at this point. It may be my own fault, but...

I notice even sharp images (imported into LR3) when I zoom in on the image, it becomes very mottled/blurry. I think I am using the highest resolution. If I zoom in with the camera on the subject, they appear quite sharp. But, if I want to crop an image in LR...not good!!

Any thoughts?
Not sure why no-one has responded to this, but here's my initial two pennyworth. I bought a V-Lux 20 recently as I needed a pocketable camera. I have an M9 so have something to compare the results to. I'm just back from a holiday in Scotland with both cameras.

My initial impressions mirrored yours. However, on closer analysis, the results are greatly enhanced if I stick to ISO80 (no surprise there) and the noise reduction option in the menu (Pict Adj - Noise Reduction) is set to minus 2.

It's no M9 or X1, but I think with a bit of perseverance it will prove to be a versatile shirt pocket camera. I nearly went for a GRD3 and am not absolutely sure I made the right choice, but the zoom is more useful than I thought it would be. I had dismissed the geotagging facility as a gimmick, but it works very well with Aperture and is more useful (and fun) than I had thought.

Here's one, at ISO80. It can be viewed at the original size What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_hart/4914947551/

jonoslack

HI There Paul
I think you're quite right - it does a fine job (for what it is). I agree about the noise reduction, and about the ISO 80 - that image you posted would make a perfectly good A3 sized print.

The only time it really falls down is if you're seriously pixel peeping. The macro is fine too.

Maybe Reynolds is a bit happier now (we were sending pms about it).
. . . and it really is small too.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Indeed, Jono...Reynolds is getting happier by the minute thanks to you and Paul. I certainly will continue to work with it. The size and the zoom are just the best...worth my being a bit more patient!

Thanks so much for the help and advice...good stuff!!

DjordjeJ

I have ZS3, similar camera, and despite not the best IQ, it is one of the best P&S i have owned. TZ10 and V-Lux20 are similar. Such focal range, with very good IQ and great movie mode, it is hard to beat.