The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nocturnal amble

otumay

Armed with the mighty DP1, he might be seen stalking in the streets of the city at night...:eek:

D

D upton-Hackett.

Super B/W osman. sometimes only black and white will do to create lovely atmospheric images like these.

otumay

Thank you! As far as I can remember, the camera was set at ISO 800, program mode and -0.3 ev exposure; X3F raw converted to 16-bit TIFF in SPP, retouched in PS CS4 + Color EfexPro and converted to jpeg.

D

D upton-Hackett.

That's got me wondering, why i never use program mode Mmmmm.

otumay

Actually, I use the aperture mode more often, Derek, but the difficulty in night shooting forced me to switch to the easier mode.

otumay

I include this shot purely for technical reasons. DP1 understandably has poor high-ISO performance. This was not particularly a problem in the monochrome shots, but color noise is more difficult to swallow. I think longer exposure time may compensate for some of this mishap.

D

D upton-Hackett.

yes see what you mean, agree a longer exposure should do the job.

otumay

But we must not overlook the fact that shooting at longer exposures hand-held is for the young and mighty!

Kofronj

Hi Osman,

I love those B/W shots. Did you convert with SPP 4/4.1, or with 3.5? The reason I ask is that (in general) 3.5 gives you more 'grain' (luminescence noise).

Very well done...

Jim