The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

London Town

sizifo

Lovel all of them, however third one of the jumper off the stairs simply rocks!
Thanks. I believe they were practicing some new dangerous kind of sport that involves jumping over large gaps in an urban setting (parkour?)

sizifo

Ah, also, I can't get it out of my head that the guy in the middle on the photo in post 10, is some well known figure? He just seems so familiar. Do any of the Brits among you recognize him?

Joan

Fantastic shots Sisifo and Will, makes me not only wish I had the GRD2 but also the money for a trip to London.

More?

pollobarca

Ah, also, I can't get it out of my head that the guy in the middle on the photo in post 10, is some well known figure? He just seems so familiar. Do any of the Brits among you recognize him?

He looks like Michael Palin , Monty Pythons Flying Circus member. But he also looks a bit young for him so its most probably a look-a-like.

all the best

paul

pollobarca

I also that he's some promoter or DJ, or something. He was with four or five bald guys with a beard. He does look like Michael Palin, but MP is over 60 already.
A gang of posers then.

Sizifo- didnt see it before-your Harrods Pic is lovely:salute:

b rgds

paul

N

ntrolls

Smithfield, tone-mapped image from a single RAW. Still tons to learn for a decent result... :p

I guess a single RAW/tone-mapped images must contain more noise than multi-exposure HDR, but this is very grainy/noisy compared to some of the better tone-mapped images I've seen. Do you have any tips?

sizifo

Smithfield, tone-mapped image from a single RAW. Still tons to learn for a decent result... :p

I guess a single RAW/tone-mapped images must contain more noise than multi-exposure HDR, but this is very grainy/noisy compared to some of the better tone-mapped images I've seen. Do you have any tips?

No tips really. Doubt I'd be able to get more out of it with Aperture + shadow tool. It looks good, even with the noise.

pollobarca

Nothing wrong with this picture unless you are looking for noise.
Viewed from the right distance on the screen its a beautiful picture.
I am sure it would print well or look good on a digital frame.:)

b rgds

paul

ps what software are you using?

N

ntrolls

Nothing wrong with this picture unless you are looking for noise.
Viewed from the right distance on the screen its a beautiful picture.
I am sure it would print well or look good on a digital frame.:)

b rgds

paul

ps what software are you using?
Thank you pollobarca and sizifo. I did a small 4x6 print today to see what it is like. It mostly turned out okay, except they did the white border in very fancy way - I was expecting a much simpler one. The highlight in mid-right cloud came out a wee bit yellowish, but I can live with it.

Paul, I used Photomatix. It seems to be easier to deal with compared to doing the same thing in Photoshop.

sizifo

Will, I really love the first B&W conversion. How come you chose to shoot the second at ISO800, I mean, given that it seem like daylight?

Here is GRD at the Wembley stadium. England vs. Croatia game in November. Not a great photo - GRD is not exactly a sports camera - but I'm just trying to tease any english football fans on this forum, with Euro 08 coming up. As you may guess, I'm croatian.

Last edited:

Will

Will, I really love the first B&W conversion. How come you chose to shoot the second at ISO800, I mean, given that it seem like daylight?

I was playing with grain in the rain. I think it was my first outing with the GX100 and I was finding its limits.

Will

Post Office Tower.

I remember having a meal in the rotating restaurant at the top with my grandparents in about 1967 or 8. There was an IRA bomb explosion in it in 1971 but it wasn't closed until 1980 when another IRA bombing campaign made it too much of a security risk.

The building on the right is the BBC broadcasting house.

DP1

Will

DP1 B&W conversion. Looking back from the PTO.

All Souls Church which is next to broadcasting house. I'll have to go back and get one with all the steps in next time!

DP1

sizifo

Will, I also have a fascination with cranes, at leas a subconscious one, since I do have loads of photos of them. Will try and pick some to post. Like the DP1 crane photo a lot.

Here is one of the photos I posted at the beginning of the thread. Admittedly the PP was c**p, way too dark. Here are two more versions (the first is the original one)? Any preference or suggestions?

Vid

Last edited:

Will

I like the middle one best. I would probably give it a little highlight reduction some slightly aggressive unsharp mask, but thats just my style.

Last edited: