The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dance class with the canon g3

smokysun

$125 lnib with everything from the fred miranda buy & sell. it's a delight to start collecting older digitals now that they have a history. each one gives different results within their limitations.

www.pbase.com/wwp/choreo2

Last edited:
A

asabet

$125 lnib with everything from the fred miranda buy & sell. it's a delight to start collecting older digitals now that they have a history. each one gives different results within their limitations.
I feel just the same way about older digital (and film) camera classics. Great price on that G3!

helenhill

I feel just the same way about older digital (and film) camera classics. Great price on that G3!
TOTAL AGREEMENT........Collecting is FUN
I just bought an e330 (yes I know,really not that old or a classic yet)
but dirt cheap w/a cron R 50mm f2....can't wait
as for classics & film also got a Rollei 35S......DIVINE

BEST-H

Lili

Smokysun,
Very very nice.
The old G Series do draw well, plus they've fast lenses too!
And for the price, they really rock!

smokysun

thanks, lili. the pixels and lenses seem to match up, plus a 50 iso. if you have a fast lens (2.0 or faster), it does a lot better than is. can't wait to break out my sony 717, another great oldie.
wayne

M

micampe

So, since you are into collecting, anybody interested in a Canon IXUS v2 (PowerShot S200 for you overseas)? I am giving it away for free, since I have no use for it. It is working fine, see here for some recent shots I took with it.

Funny thing is, after I got the LX2, I started playing a bit with post processing, so I tried some of the things I just learned on some of my old pictures and boy, do they make a difference. I guess these old machines did a lot less processing in-camera (those on my Flickr are unprocessed).

smokysun

Funny thing is, after I got the LX2, I started playing a bit with post processing, so I tried some of the things I just learned on some of my old pictures and boy, do they make a difference. I guess these old machines did a lot less processing in-camera (those on my Flickr are unprocessed).[/QUOTE]

this is a very interesting observation. i once read 4 megs the right size for these sensors. cramming in more means they must have to process the heck out of them. the new cameras do work faster, but as for image-quality, i really wonder.

this is a very interesting observation. i once read 4 megs the right size for these sensors. cramming in more means they must have to process the heck out of them. the new cameras do work faster, but as for image-quality, i really wonder.
I own both the G3 and the Ixus V2, and they´re both working well. Actually, I bought both (not at the same time) at bargain prizes when the respective models were cleared out to give room for newer models, with more pixels, of course. My reasoning was identical to Wayne´s: too many pixels in the new ones...

I used both contentedly (in jpeg, I´m afraid) until the Leica Digilux 2 entered my life...

Seeing the images here, I do feel I might revisit some of the oldies and see what can be done to them (I still have the original files, thankfully). Here are a few as-is (first one´s Ixus, the others G3):

M

micampe

ahaha Will, that's hilarious, have they learned to strike that pose every time? :)

Others say 6 MP are perfect (cached copy, site is broken now), but my comment wasn't about noise, more about other qualities of the image.

Almost all my IXUS v2 images look dull and very soft, while newer cameras do a better job at sharpness and "punch", by tweaking (just my wild guess here) contrast, colors, etc in-camera. And the same treatment done in PP can give some life to an image which otherwise would be quite dull.

As for noise, I am in the league of those who don't care that much. These high-MP images aren't meant to be viewed at 100% crops, they are always scaled or printed at reasonably high DPI, where most noise becomes invisible (never mind the fact that, still, my LX2's sensor is about twice as large as the IXUS').