The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to your forum...Dp-1 or GRD-II?

D

durr3

Hello all,
I normally shoot with a M6 or Nikon digital. I bought a GRD to go to DisneyWorld last year and it did fine, but nothing to write home about. I sold it and got an Epson R-D1. Really liked it, but the RF stayed misaligned. Sold it. I am thinking about the GRD II or the DP-1. any advise? Pros and Cons.
Thanks.

-Durr

DavidE

I have both and often carry both with me (the GRD2 on a belt clip and the DP1 in my pocket). The GRD2 is more fun to shoot with (terrific user interface and much better LCD screen), while the DP1 has the superior image quality. I tend to favor the DP1, unless the light levels are low. That's when the faster lens on the GRD2 comes in handy, especially for B&W.

If you weren't bowled over by the GRD last year, maybe you should look at the differences between the GRD and GRD2 to see if the improvements would be enough to change your opinion.

Last edited:

Will

GRD2 a joy to use, very compact and easy to carry everywhere.

DP1, better files, not so convenient to carry or enjoyable to use.

Since I got it I find myself feeling disloyal to the GRD2 when using the DP1 in preference (but I use the DP1 anyway)

Brian Mosley

GRD2 produces DNG, DP1 produces X3F... big difference. Make sure you're aware of the overhead of handling DP1 RAW files - and if you're comfortable with that, and obsess over sharpness at base ISO - then by all means go with the DP1 (I have one). But make sure you go in with your eyes open on the DP1, as there's a serious overhead imho to working with it.

Sorry if that sounds negative, and you can see the results I'm getting on the DP1 thread - but there's an inordinate amount of hype surrounding the DP1 (thankfully not in this forum)

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

I totally agree with you Maggie, so good they didn't change it from the LX1 (which I still love!)

Roll on the LX3 :)

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

I now have both the d-lux3 and the grd2. Even though I love the d-lux3 the ergonomics and speed of the GRD2 is better. I will know more tomorrow when I shoot it in the light and process the files. Look for me to post some shots on the San Juan workshop thread.

Brian Mosley

I don't doubt the GRD has the best ergonomics of a (ultra?)compact... I'm agreeing though that the PanaLeica lens on the LX1/2 is superb.

I hope that Panasonic has made UI improvements for the LX3.

Kind Regards

Brian

Maggie O

If the D-lux 4 comes even close to the ergonomics of the GR-D cameras, it will be very hard to beat, indeed.