The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The GRD2 in San Juan

sizifo

Hi Vid

Well, I'm not denying it, but I would go back to my 'two tenths of sweet FA'. I think the results from all these cameras are rubbish - if you want to pixel peep between a 28mm fixed lens and a 24-72 zoom, then that's fine, but if you ask me, the difference is between 'just a tiny bit better than the minimum one would expect' and 'a little bit better than the minimum one would expect'.
Either we are talking past each other, or we just don't agree. I was precisely trying to say that by pixel peeping you might miss the look of the prime, which makes a significant difference if you just look at the photo - independently of whether it's an slr, small sensor at base iso or at iso1600, or infact if you decide to do some super PP that takes you far away from the original image. I am ALL against pixel peeping.

If we are not talking past each other, then it may be that I just don't agree with your philosophy. In particular

"I think the results from all these cameras are rubbish".

is something I disagree with 100% percent.

And also with:

" they are there to make images when you can't carry something better."

I've gone from an SLR to a grd, simply because of the look, which comes, obviously, from the combination of sensor and lens. And both play and important role. I believe I have a right to talk about primes giving a different look than zooms in the context of small sensors.

Let me take what I believe you're arguing one notch higher.

Imagine you are using a 10 mpixel slr, and debating the difference between a zoom and a prime. Then I come and tell you: well all the photos coming from the SLR are rubbish. You're using this just because it's easier to carry than a Hasselblad, which if you had you'd be laughing at yourself for pixel-peeping between the two lenses.

Do you agree with this kind of reasoning, is there some threshold sensor size when lenses start to make an important difference, or am I missing the point? It seems to me that you've gone a little bit too far in talking about "results" as some absolute.

Best,

Vid

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have all three GRD GRD2 and GX100. The one that would need surgery to remove is the GRD2.
That speaks volumes. I've owned my GRD2 for all of four or five hours and already feel the same way..

ecliffordsmith

Hi Terry,

You have posted some really nice images, good that you are enjoying the camera. If it were not for the fact that the M8 with a 35 cron attached is so portable my GRD2 would get a lot more use.

Terry

Hi Terry,

You have posted some really nice images, good that you are enjoying the camera. If it were not for the fact that the M8 with a 35 cron attached is so portable my GRD2 would get a lot more use.
I don't love my M8 any less but I like to play with different toys.:D

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry - nice shot of Jack! Looks like you are set. With the GRD2, the M8, and the D300 you have everything covered and a nice balance . . . for now. :)