The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bleak

Lili

The same day my laptop died, I was detoured on my normal route home by construction.
I found this scene while waiting in an enormous line of traffic.

Will

A day of hard drives!

I like the single bright headlight in the mirror being a ray of light in a bleak scene.

Lili

Just curious Lili, what does that scene mean to you?
Player, it means pretty much what the title says, Bleakness, the Futility of Achievement.
Build as you will, in the end it all fails.
Despite our headlong rush, it all ends the same.
Edit; those were my feeling when I took this image
I don't normaly feel that down :)

Last edited:
P

Player

Player, it means pretty much what the title says, Bleakness, the Futility of Achievement.
Build as you will, in the end it all fails.
Despite our headlong rush, it all ends the same.
Edit; those were my feeling when I took this image
I don't normaly feel that down :)
Good Lili, it is a pretty depressing image. And it's great that you have strong feelings while you're shooting.

The first thought that entered my mind was this is "our" tax dollars at work. Another equally depressing thought. Good job!

Lili

Good Lili, it is a pretty depressing image. And it's great that you have strong feelings while you're shooting.

The first thought that entered my mind was this is "our" tax dollars at work. Another equally depressing thought. Good job!
Player, thank you.
I find I cannot shoot without feeling something.
Or is it the feelings that prompt me to shoot?

P

Player

Player, thank you.
I find I cannot shoot without feeling something.
Or is it the feelings that prompt me to shoot?
I don't know, but I think either way it's the artist within you.

Lili

Reminds me of Ozymandias - where all about is ruin and decay, and the proud and haughty have nothing more to look upon.

BTW, did you solve the hard disk diffiiculty?
""My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Yes, that feeling exactly.

The drive is in the hands of a friend for recovery attempt, not too hopeful.
My laptop was 5 years old, Toshiba Satellite P25.
I may try to get a new drive for it since I adored the 17" wide screen.
Ironically I had been researching laptop that were smaller and lighter that the P25 (9.9lbs)
Got a Gateway t1628 amd turio dual core, 3gb ram, ati radeon, 250gb hdd vista home premium
techie talk, lol

Last edited:

sizifo

""My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away."
I'm sure Shelley wrote this after his hard drive failed. Or equivalently after he dropped his scripts into a puddle. :D

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Perhaps surprisingly, WB Yeats had a more pragmatic view of his building efforts:

scanned from a rather decayed 40+ year old Kodachrome

P

Player

Lili, your picture has got me thinking. I'd love to document, in my own city, our "tax dollars at work" by capturing a fraction of the millions of potholes, urban decay, and unnecessary triple overtime police details at every city construction project (while every other state in the union uses orange cones or civilians). Especially in light of the fact that our city council just voted themselves 25% pay raises while forcing retirees to migrate to Medicare and being forced to pick up the tab for part B. These retired workers in the past had foregone many pay raises while being promised that their benefits wouldn't be cut.

A picture says a thousand words.

Lili

Lili, your picture has got me thinking. I'd love to document, in my own city, our "tax dollars at work" by capturing a fraction of the millions of potholes, urban decay, and unnecessary triple overtime police details at every city construction project (while every other state in the union uses orange cones or civilians). Especially in light of the fact that our city council just voted themselves 25% pay raises while forcing retirees to migrate to Medicare and being forced to pick up the tab for part B. These retired workers in the past had foregone many pay raises while being promised that their benefits wouldn't be cut.

A picture says a thousand words.
I am glad to have been helpful in inspiring such a project.
Politicians Promise=air and darkness

P

Player

I am glad to have been helpful in inspiring such a project.
Politicians Promise=air and darkness
Thankyou, Lili, for the inspiration!

I've been so ticked-off at our city government, I need a way, beyond voting (I never vote), to fight back at these corrupt politicians.

I've been trying to write a song along the lines of Dylan's "Masters Of War," but with a local flavor to it. When I saw your picture, it occurred to me that maybe I've been working in a less effective medium to fight city hall. I mean Dylan's song hasn't exactly changed the world, and I doubt someone could write a better song than "Masters Of War," so maybe I could, at the very least, open some eyes with photography.

Joan

Very sad, but as always a great capture from you. *sigh* Our infrastructure is going to wrack and ruin for sure. I think I hear the echo of Nero and his fiddle ...