The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G9/D-LUX3/DP1 Dynamic Range Comparison

A

asabet

Though some here might be interested in this comparison. Click here for the test. As always, comments and suggestions for better testing procedure are appreciated.

This round, as you might expect, went to the DP1. The resolution/detail testing, which I've yet to post, may come as more of a surprise ;).

Regards,
Amin

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Amin:

Very well done! Can't wait to see the detail and color tone installments :thumbs:

Cheers,

Lili

From tests like your Amin, as well as the reviews it appears the DP-1 does indeed achieve the best IQ of ANY compact even close in size!
Well Done!

A

asabet

Thanks Jack, Jono, and Lili :). Jono, unfortunately I sold my GX100 before embarking on this shootout. Put it up for sale on the Buy & Sell board here at GetDPI, and it was gone in minutes. Ricoh has agreed to send me a GRD II for testing/review, but not in time for this shootout. They say they are shipping this week from Japan. Still, that just means I'll have more time to really focus on the GRD II. Also, now that I have a contact in Ricoh Japan marketing, I hope that I'll be able to continue to get their "high end" compacts for review as they come out.

Joan

Amin, nice job as always. The DP1 sure holds a lot of detail in the shadows, quite remarkable. I don't understand why it should lose saturation so significantly though ... what's the explanation for that, do you know?

A

asabet

Thanks Joan. I don't know the explanation for the saturation loss at high ISO, though most of the time I don't find it too problematic. Regards, Amin