The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD2 v GX100, shootout or an ideal pair?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Been a little discussion about the merits of one over the other in the San Juan thread. I just received my GRD2 yesterday and have a GX100 arriving in a few days, having traded my D-Lux3. (FTR, to my eye in reviewing my initial GRD2 images at least, I feel the D-Lux 3 still offers an edge in overall image quality, however the GRD/GX have more intuitive control layouts and offer higher ISO, both considerations for me in a pocket camera.) Anyway, I thought it might be fun to open up a thread where we can discuss the merits of one versus the other versus both working together, or heck versus any other comparable camera...

I know the first reaction might be who really needs more than one small camera, but the reality is several of us own several of these tiny wonders in addition to larger cameras.

I'm taking both out this weekend as my only cameras (!) on a family trip to Lake Tahoe and will hopefully get a few images from each camera that are worthy of posting here.

So let the fun begin!

Lili

Jack,
I will watch for your results avidly, I am still very tempted by the GX100, esp since their prices have fallen a bit.
I have taken my GRD as my only camera on trips; it is quite freeing and I never felt constrained by its limitations even with just the native lens.
:)

W

wbrandsma

Excellent Jack! Congrats with your new purchases. I think both cameras make a great pair. And the price of the GX100 in particular is very tempting at the moment.

Joan

Wow, how nice to have both! I would love to get just ONE! Can't wait to see your results, Jack.

nostatic

I have a DLux3 and am (still) pondering a GRD2. If I only could have one I'd probably opt for the zoom. While I love a good prime (and tend to have a 35mm ltd macro most of the time on my Pentax K20d), for a walkabout there are times that I need the lens to do the legwork that I can't. So if I had to have one between the GX100 and GRD2, I'd have to vote GX100.

But, I'm figuring on keeping the DLux3 and adding the GRD2. The reasoning being that the GRD2 gives me a different native aspect ratio, better/closer macro, no lens cap (more pocketable), and a different look. Only through use will I be able to tell if the fixed lens is a blessing or a curse. While I know what I like with my dslr I find that "pocket" is different, and my eye is different, so I'll have to play with it to see.

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with. Maybe I should just break down and call Tony at Popflash...

Terry

I have a DLux3 and am (still) pondering a GRD2. If I only could have one I'd probably opt for the zoom. While I love a good prime (and tend to have a 35mm ltd macro most of the time on my Pentax K20d), for a walkabout there are times that I need the lens to do the legwork that I can't. So if I had to have one between the GX100 and GRD2, I'd have to vote GX100.

But, I'm figuring on keeping the DLux3 and adding the GRD2. The reasoning being that the GRD2 gives me a different native aspect ratio, better/closer macro, no lens cap (more pocketable), and a different look. Only through use will I be able to tell if the fixed lens is a blessing or a curse. While I know what I like with my dslr I find that "pocket" is different, and my eye is different, so I'll have to play with it to see.

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with. Maybe I should just break down and call Tony at Popflash...
When I shoot the M8 in the city I usually go out with just camera and the one lens. What that is all you have, you make it work. When I picked up and started using the GRD2, I just didn't miss the zoom....at all. It will be interesting when you do get a GRD/GX to see your reaction the the user interface. I have the D-lux3 and thought it was pretty good :grin:

All that being said, next time I see Jack I will have to swipe his GX100 for a test drive.

Finally, there are a couple of used GRD2's at Popflash :D

Will

Will you carry both all the time or sometimes just one? With both to hand it would be interesting to see how often you use the flexibility of the zoom lens, with just the GRD2 it would be interesting to see if you ever feel restricted.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing the results.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Will you carry both all the time or sometimes just one? With both to hand it would be interesting to see how often you use the flexibility of the zoom lens, with just the GRD2 it would be interesting to see if you ever feel restricted.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing the results.
Exactly the idea behind this thread -- with both at hand, which will I grab? It's also why I traded off my D-Lux to get the GX, so the UI would be similarly attractive in both cameras. (The D-Lux is fine by itself, but not similar to the Ricoh control layout -- and I knew I'd never use the little Leica again with the GRD handy.) With my shooting style, I suspect he GRD will get preference since I like the simplicity of fixed focals and the 28 FOV to begin with, but we'll see...

PS: I actually found a little P&S case yesterday that had a divider and would hold both cameras and a spare battery, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it and actually carry them that way. :ROTFL:

Cheers,

sizifo

This will be interesting. So I guess we have to wait till Monday for the verdict after the field test.

Vid

nostatic

When I shoot the M8 in the city I usually go out with just camera and the one lens. What that is all you have, you make it work. When I picked up and started using the GRD2, I just didn't miss the zoom....at all. It will be interesting when you do get a GRD/GX to see your reaction the the user interface. I have the D-lux3 and thought it was pretty good :grin:
When I go out with my dslr usually only take the lens that is on it, and lately it has been either 35mm or 77mm ltd primes.

All this peer pressure forced me to order a GRD2 from Tony. Who knows, maybe it'll show up tomorrow or Saturday.

I blame you all...

A

asabet

Hi Jack, I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts on this comparison. Regards, Amin

jonoslack

Hi Jack
I'll be really interested in your impressions. Have a great time!

My GX100 came into it's own last night - we went to see Canadian singer Feist at the Royal Albert Hall last night (3 hour drive), I had the M8, nocti and 75 'cron packed away . . . .but I forgot to turn the M8 off, and the bag must have been pressing . . . no spare battery . . . . damn!

So these were with the GX100

here's the hall . . . . I told that guy to keep still!

this is the band - the lighting was pretty subdued

sometimes it's tough to sleep after the long drive - sitting in bed and fiddling with the camera:

(chandelier from Murano, cobwebs from Suffolk :))
. . . . and yes, we do have a bath in our bedroom.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Quick update. GX100 just arrived. All in all, very similar UI to the GRD, but not exactly identical, especially settings options, but close. First thing I notice is the incredibly long write time for a single RAW, totally locking the camera up until done. With the GRD, you get two before it needs to write. Next, you cannot set the GX100 to a square format raw as you can the GRD, only a square jpeg. But the rest seems pretty darn similar, and it's similar enough all over I'm convinced I did the right thing to make the trade, superior image quality of the D-Lux3 not withstanding.

I'll try and do some quick IQ and ISO comparisons tomorrow and get some examples up.

And FWIW: I'll go out on a limb prior to the actual tests and say that as it stands, if I could only keep one it would be the GRD2. So let's see if I have to eat those words in the upcoming few days ;)

Cheers,

Robert Campbell

Quick update. GX100 just arrived. All in all, very similar UI to the GRD, but not exactly identical, especially settings options, but close. First thing I notice is the incredibly long write time for a single RAW, totally locking the camera up until done. With the GRD, you get two before it needs to write. Next, you cannot set the GX100 to a square format raw as you can the GRD, only a square jpeg. But the rest seems pretty darn similar, and it's similar enough all over I'm convinced I did the right thing to make the trade, superior image quality of the D-Lux3 not withstanding.

I'll try and do some quick IQ and ISO comparisons tomorrow and get some examples up.

And FWIW: I'll go out on a limb prior to the actual tests and say that as it stands, if I could only keep one it would be the GRD2. So let's see if I have to eat those words in the upcoming few days ;)

Cheers,
I'd also be interested in your opinion - I too have both. I don't want to prejudice you with my thoughts, but I'd suggest that both have a tendency to overexpose, and that -0.3 to -0.7 compensation helps. And I think that the jpgs turn skies a sort of cyan colour, rather than blue - when comparing the dngs and the jpgs.

Have fun!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bigger , smaller what . Damn I almost hit a button today and did not know which one so i cut my finger off just to play it safe. i like the idea of a zoom but long time to write bugs me.