The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iphone 4 doubts

Rawfa

I know this is probably not the place to be posting this, but since here is where I see most of the Iphone related discussions I'm posting it in here anyway (I hope that's ok).

Hi,

I was always against Apples' closed strategy as opposed to Android's open source one...BUT, since here in Brazil the best Android phones are not available and the Iphone 4 is I'm being forced to consider it. But before I even begin to consider it I have some doubts regarding points that are very important for me.

1 - Can you simply drag and drop media files (video, music, photos) into the Iphone and then play them? Or do you have to convert the files using some Apple application?

1.2 - Does the Iphone 4 support the latest video codec/formats? (

2 - Is there a way to connect your Iphone 4 to a TV and playback you media content?

3 - Does the Iphone 4 have MS Office? (I'm guessing that's a big NO). I have to be able to synchronize my outlook calendar with it.

4 - How do you view websites with java and flash?

Last edited:

Braeside

1 - Can you simply drag and drop media files (video, music, photos) into the Iphone and then play them? Or do you have to convert the files using some Apple application?

Yes MP3, JPG, H264 via iTunes on your PC into your iPhone.

1.2 - Does the Iphone 4 support the latest video codec/formats?
H264 there are lots of converters to the iPhone now. I have one on the Mac that will do the conversion on the fly and stream it over wifi to the phone.

2 - Is there a way to connect your Iphone 4 to a TV and playback you media content?

The new Apple TV $99 will allow you to do this over wifi to your TV. At present I use a video adaptor lead to Composite video into my SD TV.

3 - Does the Iphone 4 have MS Office? (I'm guessing that's a big NO). I have to be able to synchronize my outlook calendar with it.

No MS Office but it will sync your calendar
http://www.ehow.com/how_2313206_sync-outlook-calendar-google-calendar.html

4 - How do you view websites with java and flash?[/QUOTE]

No Adobe Flash so you cannot. :-( Many sites are moving away from flash because the iPhone is so popular.

The iPhone 4 is a very nice piece of kit, the display is fabulous, it has good HD video recording and the 5M pixel camera is very decent indeed.

Facetime video chat is also a great feature, but at present limited to iPhone 4 or latest iPod Touch and only works over wifi.

Rawfa

So you're saying that I DO have to convert the video files before I can view them on the Iphone 4? I've read in a couple of places the it has no support for divx and xvid, hence forcing you to convert the files before being able to watch them on the Iphone 4. Is this true?

jonoslack

Hi Rafa
I think the real truth of the iphone is that unless you are going to use iTunes to a reasonable extent to handle your media then it's a bit of a nono (it an be done, but it's fiddly and time consuming).

Managing music / books / videos etc. 'manually' on itunes is a snap. But if you don't want to use itunes then it's not going to be.

Your contacts / calendar / email is easy and fine and works pretty well.

I wouldn't even think of moving away from my iphone / ipad, but for someone who likes to have complete 'nuts and bolts' control over what's going on, Apple isn't, and never was the right way to go.

Diane B

For Office files, not sure if these are Iphone or only Ipad but Quickoffice, Docs to go and OfficeHD (which I use) are good. I use Google calendar to sync Touch, Ipad and my main computer.

busch63

1 - No. Not as easy as u expect as an windows/opensource user. Many annoyed Apple User´s use the "Jailbreak" etc. to open Apple´s Prisons.
1.2 - No, not in their format. They have to convert in Apple formats - but there are plenty of tools for windows users as well.
2 - Yes, with Apple TV / No, with standard gear ( plugs like usb, HDMI, etc.)
3 -No. But it´s possible via some programs for windows (e.g. iTunes as well)
4 - No, not with java/flash. Meanwhile Appel have a special Java and Flash like software - but not sure how good it´s work.

The iphone is great for lots of things - but not for phoning ;)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The iphone is great for lots of things - but not for phoning

True, never got it for this :)

Rawfa

I never say never, but it really doesn't sound like the Iphone is the phone for me.
Thanks, everybody.