The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

6mp DSLR versus 6mp Bridgecam

Lili

I know I have posted one of these images before so I beg your indulgence;
Pentax K100d with 50mm f1.4 FA lens

Fujifilm Finepx S6000fd 28-300mm efl zoom

I took these images almost exactly 2 months apart and tried to match the lighting and angle.
Using both cameras here taught me some interesting lessons.

1-The Optical finder of the Pentax is much brighter and easier to compose with in birght daylight.

2-The Electronic Eye Level finder of the Fuji shows 100% of the recorded image; accurate in framing. The Pentax only like 95%, not much in numbers but huge in trying to be precise, almost enough to make up for item 1

3-The difference in sensors and jpeg engines is just as much as it was with film. I FAR prefer Fuji's handling of greens.

4-The Pentax, having a much bigger sensor, has more dynamic range. But not as much as I had expected. This is no slam on the K100d, rather it is praise for Fuji's Super HR CCD

5-Despite the excellence of the Pentax Prime, the Fuji's zoom lens is VERY close is performance.

Both cameras do very very well IMHO.
For the cash outlay, $299 for the Fuji, lens and all, versus roughly $400 for the K100D body and some $200 more for the lens; the Fuji gives simply awesome results for the money in this type of shooting.

helenhill

Very Cool Comparison .............I very much like the FUJI as well

Notable Differences in terms of Color
The Green Cacti (Obvious:):)
Mustard tone in Mural 'POPS' a bit more with Pentax
Red Bench 'POPS' more w/ Pentax as well as the Blue in their shirts and the small Pink area in the wall background

One would think that the FUJI would 'POP' more but it was the Pentax

Best-H

jonoslack

HI Lili
Looks like the fuji made all the flowers drop off :)

One of the things I like about the E3 is the large, bright and 100% viewfinder - excellent. Of course, the Olympus colours are also renowned for being accurate . . . and their 12-60 lens is absolutely fabulous and goes down to almost macro at all focal lengths. . . . .

Still, it's an interesting comparison, bridge cameras have certainly got better. I'd still like to see a revamped version of the lovely Olympus E10 - it had a great 100% optical viewfinder a wonderful f2 zoom, live view with a flip out LCD and a leaf shutter so that it was virtually silent (just a tiny click). It also had a 2/3 sensor. A modern version of it would be a wondrous thing - 10mp - good low noise characteristics, silent. I want one!

I better go away, I'm sounding like an Olympus rep!

The new Fuji 1000fd sounds really interesting (also with a larger sensor). It's a big camera though, It would seem that you can't have everything after all!

Lili

Helen, thank you, yes each image has its strong points in terms of color. At these sizes the overall image quality is just not really that different.
At larger views there seems to be a bit more
Crop 100% from K100d

Here the Pentax image just barely starts to get soft but is still quite decent
Crop 100% from S6000fd

At this size with the Fuji you can start to see jpeg artifacts, rather like a faint gridwork overlaying fine details.
These represent roughly just little more than a 11x14 print.
At 8x10, on screen or paper, there is little if any quality difference between them.
Just a different palette of colors.
Remarkable performance for the S6000fd, indeed.
Of course these were shot at the lowest ISO for each; 200 for the Pentax and 100 for the Fuji.
As ISO's go up the differences in image structure go from subtle to profound.
The K100d's bigger sensor really has the edge there.

Last edited:

Lili

Looks like the fuji made all the flowers drop off :)

LOL Jono

One of the things I like about the E3 is the large, bright and 100% viewfinder - excellent. Of course, the Olympus colours are also renowned for being accurate . . . and their 12-60 lens is absolutely fabulous and goes down to almost macro at all focal lengths. . . . .

Yes the E3 is a pro level DSLR, the K100d is not. I have heard terrific things about the E3 and the 12-60 ;)

Still, it's an interesting comparison, bridge cameras have certainly got better. I'd still like to see a revamped version of the lovely Olympus E10 - it had a great 100% optical viewfinder a wonderful f2 zoom, live view with a flip out LCD and a leaf shutter so that it was virtually silent (just a tiny click). It also had a 2/3 sensor. A modern version of it would be a wondrous thing - 10mp - good low noise characteristics, silent. I want one!

Oly has made some really nice bridges!

I better go away, I'm sounding like an Olympus rep!

LOL, it is quite ok. I feel the same way about both my Fuji's; S5200 and S6000fd

The new Fuji 1000fd sounds really interesting (also with a larger sensor). It's a big camera though, It would seem that you can't have everything after all!

Here is a link to a series of concert shots using the 2/3'' sensor Finepix S100fs were I in the market for bridgecam now, that would be it
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=28041877&page=1

:thumbs:

Last edited: