The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GRD3 / Panasonic LX5

D

DaniSolatie

Hi all,

I'd like to know your opinion on these two cameras, specially from those of you who have or have had both.
I've posted this in both Ricoh and Panasonic forum, because I know probably Ricoh fans and Lumix fans have some bias for one or the other camera, and I'd like to hear both sides.
I've had in the past the GRD and GRD2, and also the LX2, and many other small sensor, dslr, a Sigma DP1 and a m43 camera.
Right now I have a NEX5 with the 16mm lens which I'll be selling soon.
I've come to love the image characteristics of small sensor cameras, and also I'm not happy with the NEX in use: the "infinite" manual focus ring, and the lack of focus lock.
So I've read a lot about both the GRD3 and the LX5. The past Ricoh GRDs have been my favourite compacts of all time. Perfect for me, and I know the GRD3 is even better. I only have one problem with that option: the fixed lens. I love and I much prefer using primes when I use an interchangeable lens camera, but with a compact it is not an option. In the past I felt I didn't miss any more focal lenghts when I had only a 28mm lens. Today I sometimes miss having a 35mm/50mm. And I know I could just crop the image to get 35mm equivalent.
On the other side, when I had the LX2, I liked it but I wasn't so happy with the user interface, specially the joystick, which has now been replaced by the click wheel.
I also know that from the LX2 to the LX5 many more things have changed to the better.
I've seen lens and resolution/noise comparisons of the LX5 to the Samsung EX1 and to the Canon S95, but I haven't seen any to the GRD3.
What I'd like to know is how the LX5 compare to the GRD3 in sharpness, noise, dynamic range, and if the user interface lets you work as quick and easy as with the GRD3, or if the GRD3 is still a better camera in use.
I always feel that rationally I find many interesting cameras that I'd like to have, and that I have later tried and not been so satisfied with, while I always feel that my heart and my intuition wants to use the Ricoh.
For me the only reason to get the LX5 over the GRD3 is that it has a lens with more options than the 28mm focal length, but I wouldn't choose it if the image quality or the user experience were worse than the Ricohs'. Can you please comment on your experience?

Thanks, and happy shooting.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Dani,
My thoughts haven't changed since this morning.
I do believe the Ricoh's have a good following on this forum.

cam

no experience whatsoever on the LX5 so i can't help you there...

as somebody who has owned and loved the original GRD and the GRDII, i can honestly say that the GRDIII is what i always wanted it to be... early days yet, but the f/1.9 lens, various SNAP settings, and Shutter Priority have gone a long way towards making this great design better.

i love the fixed lens, personally, and prefer having no options... but it's my secondary camera as i tend to shoot mostly with my rangefinder (where i do have options on focal length).

i am sure the LX5 is a fine camera indeed! but if you love Ricohs...

I've had the LX5 for about a week, replacing my dead Canon G9. I came down to the LX5 and Canon S95, went with the LX5 because of the 24mm f:2 lens. I'm pleased with the results in both RAW and jpeg, handling (except I'd prefer something other than the removable lens cap). Small form factor makes it easy to fit in a pocket, etc.

K

K.RAY

I HAVE A RICOH GR3 AND A RICOH CX3 (30mm to 300mm zoom)
took both to india and got great results from both.
i see the cx4 is out now, so maybe you can find a cx3 cheaper.
i started hopeful, and am now a huge fan of both.!!

markwon

I have had the GRDIII and now use the D-lux5. I think it really came down to the fixed 28mm lens limitation for me. If the Ricoh even had at least a 28-50 zoom or step zoom, I would have kept it instead. Plus, I use it quite a bit for video, since this is my "family" camera, which is more robust than the offering on the Ricoh. I think those who were the decisive factors for me.