The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia N8 anyone?

Rawfa

Sorry Rafa, still interested in the Galaxy?
You tell me...how are you liking the N8 over the Galasy S as a cell phone? I´ve read in a couple of places that it´s noticeably slower and the interface is confusing.

Lili

You tell me...how are you liking the N8 over the Galasy S as a cell phone? I´ve read in a couple of places that it´s noticeably slower and the interface is confusing.
I was partly speaking in jest Rafa, sorry. But to answer your query; I do not find the UI on the N8 confusing, there is in Truth a learning curve versus Android or Windows Mobile. THe UI is not quite as pretty but one can DL Themes such as SPB to get realy close to Sammy.
As a phone i would say the N8 has an edge in call quality. Android does not do true voice dialing nor does Symbian. My HD2 I can ask to call Home and it will ask me to verbally confirm such a call and on my answering yes, it dials.
Neither the Nokia or the Sammy really do that, tell them to call home and you have to tap ok on the choice they present. I am told Symbian will work like the HD2 in this but i have not yet got that far. Also the Sammy does not do voice dialing via bluetooth but the HD2 and N8 do.
As browsing appliances, it is pretty even, I use Opera 10 on both.
In Apps, nothing really beats Android, esp for free.
FwiW Angry Birds is free on the Sammy, not on the Nokia.
The N8 is just a tiny bit slower in some things than the Sammy.
I only ever notice this side-by-side. In isolation not nearly so much.
The Samsung camera is quite good, just not wide angle. HD Video on both is very similar unless one puts the N8 to highest quality then the Nokia has the edge.
I find the wider angle on the N8 more appealing but YMMV

Rawfa

Lili, you seem to be having a ball with the N8 :) The iso 804 (??) is really impressive for a cellphone. I even bet that with some post processing you could get rid of that noise. Great stuff.

mazor

lovely lili. N8 indeed can be a good alternative for an excellent landscape camera replacement. Corner sharpness and absence of vignette is impressive.

Cant see the sunset shot though, appears broken in my browser.

maz

mazor

yup can see it now ;)

This shot was an amazing sunset in Christchurch yesterday 20th dec 2010. Don't get this every day!

The N8 did well with the panorama software but still, there is no compromise for seeing with ones eyes.

mazor

Rawfa

Mazor, nice shot...I bit too saturated for my taste though...
From what I´ve seen so far on the web if there is one phone that can replace a small compact is the N8.

mazor

hehe maybe I got carried away on the saturation on the built in editor. I did however boost contrast to silhouette the forground. N8 dynamic range performing too good here.

maz

mazor

n8 at the botanical gardens

So much resolution to play with, built in ND filter makes for impressive blues in the skys on fine days. An Optical revolution in resolving detail.

mazor