The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GR Digital iii vs Canon s95

Erik_A

Does anyone have experience between the Ricoh GR Digital iii vs Canon s95. I am curious about the final image IQ comparison shot at f/2.0 and 28mm. And yes, I agree that Livio Mancini's http://www.liviomancini.com/ "Scylla" series shot with the Ricoh GRDII shows that it is the photographer not the camera that counts.

Amin

I have experience with both cameras. They have similar sensor performance with perhaps a very slight edge to the S95. In terms of lens performance, the GRD III lens is signficantly better at the edges/corners. My S95 had similar lens performance to my S90 (x 2 samples) which I pitted against the GRD lens here.

The GRD III lens is good enough that the corners still look good with the 21mm equivalent converter (examples).

All things considered, my answer to your question is that the final image quality at 28mm (equivalent) f/2 favors the Ricoh.

Other differences you probably already know:
- Canon has effective IS, GRD none.
- Canon zooms, GRD does not.
- Canon is significantly smaller/more pocketable than the Ricoh.

In terms of feel in the hand, controls, usability, there is no contest (Ricoh better).

Last edited:

Erik_A

Thanks- Great post that you made: http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f41/canon-s90-vs-ricoh-gr-digital-iii-lens-performance-158/

I will get the Fuji X100 when it comes out, but am looking for something between now and next March.

I have experience with both cameras. They have similar sensor performance with perhaps a very slight edge to the S95. In terms of lens performance, the GRD III lens is signficantly better at the edges/corners. My S95 had similar lens performance to my S90 (x 2 samples) which I pitted against the GRD lens here.

The GRD III lens is good enough that the corners still look good with the 21mm equivalent converter (examples).

All things considered, my answer to your question is that the final image quality at 28mm (equivalent) f/2 favors the Ricoh.

Other differences you probably already know:
- Canon has effective IS, GRD none.
- Canon zooms, GRD does not.
- Canon is significantly smaller/more pocketable than the Ricoh.

In terms of feel in the hand, controls, usability, there is no contest (Ricoh better).